Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Previously clipped Eclectus

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Previously clipped Eclectus

Postby Marsha » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 am

Hi, I have an male eclectus who was already clipped when I bought him march 20, 2011.
He has grown back 5 or 6 of his flight feathers and he can glide/fly now. He isnt able to fly off on his own. He only flies when he sits on his javatree and has a good height.
This week I was standing in the livingroom and starting calling his name and: come here! And showing him a nut. He first hesitated but then he flew of the tree straight towards me.
Only he didnt flew on or near my hand, he just made a sharp turn when he got close to me and landed savely near me on the ground. He did this a few times more over the week whenever I called him
My question is, how do I teach him to fly better or that he can land on items (or hand)?
I have no idea if he has had the oppertunity to learn how to fly before I got him but I guess not.
:eclectus:Phoenix & Phantom + Skull :cape:
Marsha
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus & Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Previously clipped Eclectus

Postby sidech » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Just give him time. It took mine many months to figure it out. Now he flies to us. Yours will too when his confidence is built up. You don't really have to do anything other than encourage him,and even that's not necessary if your bird is still young. They have a strong instinct to fly.
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:41 pm

glo
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:41 am

Okpp
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Marsha » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:21 am

Yesterday he landed two times on the countertop which I'm not that pleased about because what if he does that when I'm cooking?!
Anyhow, I tried the hopping but being the smart bird that he is, he just lets himself fall forward aiming his beak on my fingers, holds on to them, and steps up. :lol:
Holding my hands any further will be flying for him and he didnt seem to wanna go do that haha I stood there for 15 minutes, holding his fav treat and calling him: come here, come come, come on boy. But he just waited for me to bring him the treat... lazy :eclectus:
I think I'll just wait till he is more secure of his own abilities, maybe than he will try.
:eclectus:Phoenix & Phantom + Skull :cape:
Marsha
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus & Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby sidech » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 pm

You don't let him out when you're cooking, it's not safe. I've heard of birds burning their feet on the stove and falling into boiling water...
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby liz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 am

Mine are always out. Myrtle has landed on the prep counter but stays away from the cooking area. Even so, I never turn my back on what I am cooking. If I have to leave the kitchen, which is quite often with 2 invalids in the house, I turn everything off and cover with lids.

Myrtle has figured out for herself where danger is but I am not taking a chance. Just like having a toddler in the house, I turn things off and make sure no handles stick out from the stove. I am trying to teach her to stay away from the prep counter. I cover things there too. I don't want to come back to the kitchen and find a red bird who went bathing in the jello.

A flighted bird is a beautiful well adjusted creature. Myrtle really loves to fly but it does add responsibility. I have to keep in mind all the time that my toddler can fly.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks