Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to teach recall, target? Or only food and hand?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

How to teach recall, target? Or only food and hand?

Postby Julianajara » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi guys!
I have an almost 5 months Indian Ringneck, he already knows targeting and fetching(he only retrievs on the bowl) and he is learning now wave :) (I tried to think on another prop behavior but i didnt think at anything so he is learning wave I hope it doesnt make any ill)

Well he came cliped when I bought him, but I leting the feathers grow again, because after seeing Michael videos off flighting with harness and recall I got amazed. The problem is, should I use targeting to teach recall?? Since he already learned it? Is it too soon to teach recall? Should I teach anything before it?? Please helpe me guys :)
Thankyou anyways!

Ps: Im taming him to make him let me touch and open his wing, cuz I already bought an aviator harness, im waiting him to be fully feathered and tamed and to have those quentions answered hehe. :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: No

Re: How to teach recall, target? Or only food and hand?

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 am

Just keep teaching other tricks until the feathers grow back. Then you can use the training perch method for teaching flight recall.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=228
http://trainedparrot.com/Recall
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Ok i got it! :D I saw the video and it was very helpful, i know what to do when he is ready. But should I use the target to get him to one perch to another? Or just my hand with some food? :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Better Target than lure because it facilitates better learning and teaching how to learn. The parrot learns to look for cues to come rather than just going wherever the food is.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Julianajara » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 am

Right. Thankyou very much. I will finish wave, then I will take his fetch and make it better, trying to make him retrieve on my hand, and only after this I will start recall.
It seems like he learned few things before recall, I think I should teach him another. Prop behaviour, Ill look on the forum for more ideas :)
Bye :irn:
Julianajara
Cockatiel

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks