Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Recalls fine but bites for step up.

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Recalls fine but bites for step up.

Postby Mona » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Michael wrote:

"You have to remind Senegals who's boss or they will take every opportunity to walk all over you. I think they get territorial and defensive and it is important to stand ground to them. Senegals are unbelievably aggressive and dominant for that little size!"

Yes, THEY are boss... :lol:

They are stubborn and hardheaded but on the flip side, I find it extremely easy to persuade a Senegal to do any thing if they think it is their idea. It's almost as if they have this side that wants to "please you". Babylon is so smart and so quick to want to please that she will think ahead of me. They are very manipulative so the trick is.....to teach them how to manipulate you with behaviors that you find acceptable, rather than have them manipulate you through unacceptable behaviors....They are never boring! :senegal:

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby Kathleen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

What happened yesterday that was funny was that Kili decided to land on/in the hood of my shirt as I was getting her food. See, I've been giving her vegetables every night (that's her meal before she sleeps) for the past week and I guess she has learned that when that time approaches, I go and get her bowl, she gets her food from me. She's started to tolerate me just for that time. She still gets aggressive toward me any other time I approach her cage and tries to defend her territory.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Mona » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Kathleen:

Two ideas that might help you get on Kili's good side:

1) Senegals have this behavior that looks like they are chewing gum. They open and close their beaks. This behavior is a lot like a dog wagging its tail. It is a friendly gesture. You can mimic this gesture with your fingers. Take your thumb and index finger and open and close your fingers near Kili's face (but far enough away so you don't risk a bite). You can also make clicking sounds. I have noticed that almost all of my Senegals will mimic back the "chewing gum" behavior. When they do that, they are friendly.

2) This sounds silly, but you can also try singing. I noticed that Bailey can be quite grumpy in the evenings, but if I sing to him, he softens right up. You can see the difference in the pupils of their eyes. Senegals have subtle body language (and fast) but with practice, you can catch on to some of it.

Just some ideas. Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby windharper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Like Mona, I won't put my hand in the cage to get Tamber out. I can put my hand inside to tend to food/water dishes, clean up, or to hand Tamber some treat. Those times he is usually okay. But if I put my hand in to get him out, he will try to bite and will not step up. Instead, I will open the door and let him come out (which is usually right away). I let him walk around a bit and then tap my shoulder and say "Come." He will then fly to me. Sometimes he might need to be coaxed but not very often.

Once he is out of his cage he will step up or do almost anything else I ask of him without problem.

I do think the lunging is a game for him. He will sometimes try to lunge at my hand when I am handing him a chunk of apple or carrot in his cage. We are working on correcting this.
windharper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks