Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Finally - recall training.

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Finally - recall training.

Postby kittyhazelton » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Finally got Chica flying TO my hand. Up to now it's been difficult getting her to fly to my hand (I think mostly because she has been unsure about her landings) but she's doing great.
Enjoy the quick vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeotcctA ... ksLV9INMg=
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: Finally - recall training.

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Good progress. If I may, I would suggest open arm recall rather than the way you do it because it is a clearer cue and visible from further away. Why do we recall train? Well one of the things is for the unlikely/unwelcome getting loose scenario. Possibly you found your parrot in a tree and need to call it down. The outstretched arm method is clear and visible. Take a look at my flight recalls if you can't picture what I mean.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby kittyhazelton » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for the tip Michael, will take that into account. She had more or less shied away from an outstretched arm when i started trying it, but seemed more receptive to coming to my arm when I held it out from me across from my torso, I figure whatever works to start encouraging her to fly to me would be good. She's a bit rough on her landings for the most part so I think that may have something to do to it. A sideways arm is a steadier landing spot then an outstretched hand.
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Ok, do whatever you gotta do to get her started but keep in mind the other one for long term.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby kittyhazelton » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Michael wrote:Ok, do whatever you gotta do to get her started but keep in mind the other one for long term.

That is the goal. For a heavy bird who hasn't even been allowed to fly for at least two years (if not more) I'm really impressed that she's progressed this far so quickly. She's finally starting to chose flight as the first option of locomotion to travel around the house, she was just walking around on the floor when I first got her now she flies to her cage from the couch & vise/versa. It's very exciting and such a new learning experience for me to work with an animal so responsive to training (can only do so much with reptiles)
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Postby DanielA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 am

As I said in your video, a macaw (beautiful by the way) an IRN, a cat and a dog? My respects, even though there are people with more animals around here!
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks