Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First flight recall!

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

First flight recall!

Postby Aurora and I » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 am

Sorry about this topic, I just wanted to share the first recall I had with my parrot today!
We were making great progress with becoming familiar with hands, and she would aproch my hands. I decided to change things up a little and taught her to jump form the perch to a handheld perch, she got it, and I eventually made it go further and further away. She would almost fly across the room. I decided to hold out my arm for her to try and she came, landed, took the treat, then realized that she was on my hand and flew to her cage.
We are still working on getting used to each other (her becoming comfortable with my hands) but with little steps like these I'm very happy to have her in my life.

I'm also very glad that I stumbled on this forum, and all the amazing blog posts and tutorials! I couldn't have done any of it without you Michael! Thanks

Who said anything about rosellas being bad parrots?
:D
Aurora and I
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Rosella
Flight: Yes

Re: First flight recall!

Postby Arshia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 am

You have a Rosella!? :D
I've always wondered about them - at some point, I wanted to buy one, but no one seems interested enough in them to buy one or take it to another level of domesticity (yes, that's a word - look it up :P)

Good job with the recall. But - what the heck, tell me more about the rosella :P
I've heard they are more aviary birds, is yours cuddly at all? Is it's flight good, or is it like a stocky caique? Where did you get it? Is it noisy?
Arshia
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Re: First flight recall!

Postby cml » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 am

Arshia wrote:You have a Rosella!? :D
I've always wondered about them - at some point, I wanted to buy one, but no one seems interested enough in them to buy one or take it to another level of domesticity (yes, that's a word - look it up :P)

Good job with the recall. But - what the heck, tell me more about the rosella :P
I've heard they are more aviary birds, is yours cuddly at all? Is it's flight good, or is it like a stocky caique? Where did you get it? Is it noisy?

Rebecca here on the forum has one as well, which lives indoors as a pet and not an aviary bird!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks