Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness scare

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Harness scare

Postby Zeezee » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:35 am

Hi

I have a 4month old Senegal. She was kinda harness trained before I got her. I tired to desensitise her to my new harness and it went really well, had it over her wings and head. However when I went to tighten it it was stiff and she got her foot into the strap and freaked. Needless to say she got stuck pretty bad, bit through my finger when I tried to remove it and was stuck for about 20minutes before my dad eventually got it off her. I am now terrified I have ruined it for both of us! I would love to be able to bing outside for fly around with the harness on.

Any advice to how long I should leave it until I can give it a go again? Should I leave it? I dont think she is too bad with the harness being left on the table but I'm traumatised by the experience!!
Zeezee
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 4mo th old female Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness scare

Postby Payton Leeroy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:33 pm

My guess? Get right back on the horse. Letting your fear keep you from moving forward is just going to keep you both from moving past this. Maybe work at tightening and loosening the harness next to your bird for a while so that the harness is not so stiff and easier to adjust when you DO put it on her and tighten it. I know that when training other animals it's best to make the thing not scary again as soon as possible and just make sure you do what you can to keep the scary thing from happening again.
Payton Leeroy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm

If she shows any fear when you next take it near her start the training from scratch. If she isn't too bothered then start again with the training at the point she is comfortable with. Take baby steps and I'm sure there wont be any permenant damage to the training.
You may wish to leave her alone regarding the harness for a few days so it isn't too fresh in her mind before you try again although she will still remember, concentrate on other training so she still sees you as a positive experience.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Zeezee » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks for that! She doesn't seem to have any fear of me now and I have been leaving the harness out on her play stand so il just practice myself outing it on and off a teddy until I'm comparable again and then try her!!
Zeezee
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: 4mo th old female Senegal

Postby JacobBird » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 am

I will leave her alone for a few days. Then, take everything slowly. Like do some step-ups for her to forget the past. Then try the harness thing again. If she freak out, put the harness in her cage and let her get use to the appearance of the harness. Just take baby steps back (:
JacobBird
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Blue-eyed Cockatoo

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks