Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Slow Progress

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Slow Progress

Postby LPolliard » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm

:violin:

It has been ten plus months since I stopped clipping Chico's wings and we are still waiting on a half dozen feathers to be replaced. So far he has learned to help put on his harness and I have been trying to build up his breast muscles by having him flap his wings. He is a lazy bird and will seldom do this on his own so outside I hold him up and put him off balance to get his engine going. More and more he is understanding that I want him to flap when I hold him up. But after less than a minute of this he putters out and stops trying. He is not breathing hard. Again, I just think he is lazy. At this point I launch him at a safe distance from the ground (3ft) and make him land in the grass, usually a three point landing. I am working toward recall flight so I have also been trying to teach him to reach/hop across to my hand with little success. This maybe due in part to a lack of self confidence. Over the weekend I think I stumbled upon another technique to build up his confidence in this maneuver. While walking with harness dawned I was holding him up in a slight breeze. I think Chico was taken by surprise when he lifted up a foot above my hand. This was probably the first time he actually got lift in his 25 years. I swear his eyes were wide in amazement, mine were. He lifted then landed back on my hand very easily. Since Saturday we have been training in this manner. I think tonight I will try a little birdie catch with my daughter and see how well he flies.
:eclectus: Chico
LPolliard
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Slow Progress

Postby Eurycerus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Haha silly boy :] Just yesterday I brought the harness out to try and pet Nika with it. I sense a long road ahead. It took me three months (probably could have gone faster but I was very very cautious) to earn her trust to pick her up and flip her over and extend her wings. We're getting there!

At least your friend let's you put the harness on. Pretty neat :] I can't wait to take Nika places without a travel cage.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals
Flight: Yes

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks