Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this what is meant by Free Flighted?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Is this what is meant by Free Flighted?

Postby LPolliard » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm

did you find a Red Headed Parrot? (Laguna Hills)
Date: 2012-10-10, 5:03PM PDT
mv9mn-3330390214@comm.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
If you found a red headed parrot in Laguna Hills.... That flys very well... please release him. He is a free flying parrot and he knows where home is.. Hes out every day and comes back periodically through the day for food and water and comes back to sleep at night. He hasnt checked in with me... so assuming someone captured him. Hes been in this freeflight environment for over a year now... So please release him so he can come home to his family or call me IF YOU HAVE HIM. thank u 7 14 3 6 6 6 7 0 2. Thank you!

What do you think of this?

So irresponsible...the bird would be lucky if someone took him in. More likely he was eaten.
:eclectus: Chico
LPolliard
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this what is meant by Free Flighted?

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 pm

i hope he was found and not eaten. i don't think most people who do freeflight just leave them out all day flying out of sight.when i did it, i know it was stupid and irresponsible,i would just take my :amazon: out and set him in his favorite tree he was always in sight. he did fly outside but just in my backyard. once when i took him camping with my cousin i took my son to the beach and put him in a cage telling her not to let him out until i got back because he would freak if he didn't see me. i wasn't gone 10 minutes when i heard her scooter and her shouting she was sorry she opened the cage and he flew off so i told her not to worry i went and called him back.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Eurycerus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I don't actually think this counts as free flight. This counts as releasing your pet into the wild which is illegal. I am very negative toward anyone releasing nonnative animals into the wild. California has a very sensitive ecosystem. I definitely think this person is a fool if only for that reason, negligence aside (because I'm pretty sure we all are aware that this is not a humane way to treat an animal that relies on humans). This is why we have the wild parrot colonies. It SEEMS cool but it's actually pretty detrimental. :/

On that note, southern california has amazing weather. Although predators would be a huge issue at least the weather's good!
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby GreenWing » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Eurycerus wrote:I don't actually think this counts as free flight. This counts as releasing your pet into the wild which is illegal. I am very negative toward anyone releasing nonnative animals into the wild. California has a very sensitive ecosystem. I definitely think this person is a fool if only for that reason, negligence aside (because I'm pretty sure we all are aware that this is not a humane way to treat an animal that relies on humans). This is why we have the wild parrot colonies. It SEEMS cool but it's actually pretty detrimental. :/

On that note, southern california has amazing weather. Although predators would be a huge issue at least the weather's good!

I agree with you, this is an irresponsible thing to do, on many levels. I hope the owner gets their bird back with a lesson learned!

Sort of off topic but your mentioning reminded me: Regarding non-native birds in general (not parrots), does anyone else think that they should receive veterinary care, though? I rescued a pigeon with a broken wing and no veterinary clinic would help it because it was a "non-native". I took it in and he ended up flying away anyway, but to refuse any bird care seems unethical.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Eurycerus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I agree that's it's unethical but they don't actually owe anyone anything. Vets and hospitals are privately owned. I am sure there are kind caring people there that want to help and do the right thing but that's the hard truth of the matter.

In addition they can not release and honestly should not release non native animals of any kind so accepting to treat a non native animal means they need to find a place for it to live after wards which i assume would be very hard. They just don't want to be liable. I personally don't know what the correct answer. That's just what i know. :/
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby GreenWing » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:46 pm

I see. That makes sense. The vets I visited did at least examine the bird and they offered to put him down. I couldn't do it and took him in as a pet. Six months later under our care his wing healed (not completely) and he flew away on accident. I found him nearby in a parking lot, on the roof of a building. I kept returning to the parking lot to get him but he was gone. I doubt he made it far because his wing didn't heal properly and he couldn't fly very well.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 pm

I grew up in the country and when I was a kid a "neighbour" who lived probably a half mile away would let his parrot (an amazon) outside and he/she would fly into our trees beside our house during the day in the summer. The :amazon: would stay there all day and fly back home in the later afternoon. This happened for a few years until the neighbour moved and took the parrot with him. Luckily back then hawks were very very rare.....I think today it would be a different story for the parrot with the upswing in hawk populations.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks