Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What would YOU do with that much free space?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby kittyhazelton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 am

So I'm going to be renting a HUGE training room at the local dog school once a week to work with Chica & I'd like to get some input from you guys.
YES, I DO know that the most obvious thing is that I'll need to make some sort of collapsible curtain to put in front of the HUGE bay windows, as well as have a ladder handy in case she decides to explore the top of the heating ducts while laughing at me... but can you think of anything else from these pictures that might be helpful?
Keep in mind, anything I come up with needs to be easy to put up/take down, can collaps small enough to fit in a station wagon, as well as of course being geared towards the training of a bird for school programs & whatnot. I plan on making some BIG hoops for her to fly through, and maybe a few different colored perches/platforms for her to fly to.
I've attached some pics to give you an idea of the space I'm working with.
DSC03058.JPG
DSC03058.JPG (42.81 KiB) Viewed 4775 times

DSC03059.JPG
DSC03059.JPG (48.8 KiB) Viewed 4775 times

DSC03063.JPG
DSC03063.JPG (44.24 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
User avatar
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 93
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:10 am

what a great idea for flying space for your bird! I'm sure Chica is going to love it.

As far as birdproofing/safety goes, I noticed that there are two loading bays or garage-door type things pictured in the first picture. You may want to get some of that "CAUTION" yellow tape and tape it to the outside of these doors along with a do not open sign (the place where the trucks would pull in). Last thing you'd want is for some employee of the store/building (who doesn't know your bird is in there) to open those doors for delivery.

Other than that, looks great to me! :thumbsup:
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 491
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby kittyhazelton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm

friend2parrots wrote:what a great idea for flying space for your bird! I'm sure Chica is going to love it.

As far as birdproofing/safety goes, I noticed that there are two loading bays or garage-door type things pictured in the first picture. You may want to get some of that "CAUTION" yellow tape and tape it to the outside of these doors along with a do not open sign (the place where the trucks would pull in). Last thing you'd want is for some employee of the store/building (who doesn't know your bird is in there) to open those doors for delivery.

Other than that, looks great to me! :thumbsup:

The doors lock from the inside, so we've got that covered already. The building used to be a car dealership.
User avatar
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 93
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby charlieandkiwi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:15 pm

This is awesome. Your birds are going to love you for it!
charlieandkiwi
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 108
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: I have a 4-5 year old green cheeked conure and an 8 year old white eared conure.
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby Polarn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm

about having a ladder, I was at an indoor freeflight event last sunday where the cealing hight appears to be higher than in your pictures and they had a loooong handheld Tstand thingie to fetch birds that explored the cealing. Might be an idea rather than bringing a ladder each time.

Other than that your ideas seems to cover alot of stuffs (combined in various ways) if the goal is to display a flighted bird.
User avatar
Polarn
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 608
Location: Alicante, Spain
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby kittyhazelton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Polarn wrote:about having a ladder, I was at an indoor freeflight event last sunday where the cealing hight appears to be higher than in your pictures and they had a loooong handheld Tstand thingie to fetch birds that explored the cealing. Might be an idea rather than bringing a ladder each time.

Other than that your ideas seems to cover alot of stuffs (combined in various ways) if the goal is to display a flighted bird.


GREAT IDEA!!!
I will have to construct one, will certainly be quicker than having to find a ladder, erect said ladder, and then have bird decide to wander to oposide side of room along top of beam eliciting having to climb down ladder, move it, etc.
User avatar
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 93
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby Polarn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 pm

just try get said bird accustomed to step up onto a handheld perch and then one with a longer shaft and then you can have your 6yard stick to run around with :P
User avatar
Polarn
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 608
Location: Alicante, Spain
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby kittyhazelton » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Polarn wrote:just try get said bird accustomed to step up onto a handheld perch and then one with a longer shaft and then you can have your 6yard stick to run around with :P


She already does... we have very long pole/perch for when she's on the top of her cage (my boyfriend is short and can't reach up there to get her down) I think I will do some work at home on having her step up onto a longer pole at different angles (maybe make use of the rafters in my basement as a "drill" for such occasions.)
User avatar
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 93
Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: What would YOU do with that much free space?

Postby CathyGo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:37 am

If you have trouble finding a long enough pole take a look at the telescoping paint rollers. Some of the falconry people use them.
CathyGo
Parakeet
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 1
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes


Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store