Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tips on flight recall for Red Belly?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Tips on flight recall for Red Belly?

Postby elfena » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm

My red bellied parrot can finally fly and she flies all over the place and she's quite good but I can't seem to train her flight recall. She can fly from room to room but she won't take a measly hop towards the target stick. She'll only step across if it's close enough. If it's too far away, she just stares at me or walks away. Using her favorite treat doesn't help. I don't get it. My green cheek on the other hand can't really fly but she'll fly a little (about 8 inches away) onto my finger during training. She seems to understand flight recall and I'm not sure why my red belly doesn't. Any advice?

:redbelly: :gcc:
elfena
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Bellied Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Tips on flight recall for Red Belly?

Postby Polarn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:32 am

My amazon didnt like the range from stepping up distance all the way up to pretty far. He wouldnt do a recall unkless I was atleast 4yards away when calling, if i walked up to him he would step up but other than that closer than four yards... he wouldnt come.. Don't know if they want that distance to make sure they get lift/is able to plan a landing... but then he has always been flighted too so not really too hesitant in his flight, but it took some time doing recalls to egt him to make the shorter ones as well.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Tips on flight recall for Red Belly?

Postby Wayne361 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am

I think food management is key here. Without motivation, the chances of you getting your bird to do anything is minimal. I train my bird an hour or so before his nightime meal. I also only used treats (sunflower seeds) that he doesnt get with any other meal. From what I read this should solve the issue.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks