Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Impressive video of flight recall with a pyrrhura conure

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Impressive video of flight recall with a pyrrhura conure

Postby Andromeda » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm

This is a pyrrhura but I don't know what kind specifically. I thought this video was really impressive and wanted to share it. If you don't keep flighted birds I hope this video will inspire you. :)

Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Impressive video of flight recall with a pyrrhura conure

Postby friend2parrots » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:06 am

i REALLY enjoyed watching this video. thanks for posting it. whoever took this video really captured a lot of amazing flight sequences!

this video demonstrates a lot of wonderful things about bird flight. from the slow motion sequences, one can tell that every single tail and wing feather operates in coordination to control a birds movement. from takeoff, through flight, to landing, each and every feather has a purpose. for example, with the tail feathers, i noticed how the tail fans out and feathers on the side curl out to provide resistance for landing. and similar things occur with the wing feathers. and i loved how the whole tail wiggles from side to side, and the wings stop beating in mid air, as the bird slows its speed in preparation for landing. bird flight never ceases to astonish me.

its SO clear how mentally enriching flight is for birds from this video. so much concentration and focus is required of the bird to control every single feather like that. its like solving a puzzle in mid air. no wonder flighted parrots have this certain "look" in their eyes when they fly - as if they are completely into what they are doing.

One of the reasons I love doing flight recalls with my birds is because I enjoy watching their wings and tails as they fly back to me. so i was really delighted to learn from this video what their feathers are actually doing when they are flying.
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby Andromeda » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:10 pm

friend2parrots wrote:One of the reasons I love doing flight recalls with my birds is because I enjoy watching their wings and tails as they fly back to me. so i was really delighted to learn from this video what their feathers are actually doing when they are flying.

I liked the video for the same reason! I loved watching the slow motion tail wiggles and moments when the wings were completely folded against the body.

One other thing I really like about the video is how she encourages different manuvers like flying up from the floor, down to the floor, etc. instead of always doing recall in a straight line. It's important to incorporate things like flying up and down and not just limit flight to point A to point B at the same height.

If you look at bluepearly03's YouTube page she has lots of fun and cool videos of her conures, both of which know lots of tricks! There's also a video of her Pearly conure flying and the flashy red marks on its wings make the flight extra beautiful.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby marie83 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm

What can I say which adds to what you guys have already written? I don't think there is anything but WOW that was impressive and pretty breathtaking really.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby friend2parrots » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm

marie83 wrote:I don't think there is anything but WOW that was impressive and pretty breathtaking really.

+1 !

Andromeda wrote:One other thing I really like about the video is how she encourages different manuvers like flying up from the floor, down to the floor, etc. instead of always doing recall in a straight line. It's important to incorporate things like flying up and down and not just limit flight to point A to point B at the same height.

yeah, I noticed this too. just imagine the muscle power required for that! amazing. I would like to practice that with my birds.

i'm going to check out those videos in bluepearlys links.

the video made me feel super lucky to have a birdie from a Genus that flies so beautifully. and that wiggles its tail like that when it flies - I never knew pyrrhuras did that! Because of the angle at which Ringo usually flies, and the speed at which he flies, I've never noticed the tail wiggling. but ever since I saw that video, I've been trying to pay attention to how he wiggles his tail. Its really hard to catch, because his wings and tail are like a blur when he flies, they beat so fast.

but yeah, this video has made me extra proud of my pyrrhura! :)

:gcc:
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby Eurycerus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 pm

That was so cool to watch! Very neat to see the different flying styles of the two conure species. My boyfriend and I want a slow mo camera pretty badly. It would be a blast to do a slo mo of Nika flying. :]

Andromeda wrote:One other thing I really like about the video is how she encourages different manuvers like flying up from the floor, down to the floor, etc. instead of always doing recall in a straight line. It's important to incorporate things like flying up and down and not just limit flight to point A to point B at the same height.

Good point! I'd never actually thought about that. I was just thinking about how I would do this and does it make sense to train a parrot to fly to a specific coloured sticker (like a bright orange round sticker)? That way you can place it wherever you want and they will fly to it? I imagine I could figure out how to train her to do that with a target stick pointing to the sticker and a treat for going right to it.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Return to Indoor Freeflight