Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clipping wings after years of free flight

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Clipping wings after years of free flight

Postby Andromeda » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Michael wrote:
Andromeda wrote:I don't think it's nitpicking to say breaking a dog's legs is not the equivalent of clipping a bird's wings. The equivalent would be breaking the bird's wings. However, equating wing clipping to tying a dog's legs together 24/7 is a good comparison and I agree that both should be equally outrageous and offensive to any humane individual.

I'm talking about the psychological, practical, and outcome aspects rather than the physical application. A parrot with clipped wings is like a dog with broken wings, not a dog that got a fur trim.

I never implied that wing clipping was like a fur trim.

In my opinion even psychologically and practically the outcome of clipping is not akin to a dog with broken legs; broken legs are useless and the dog couldn't even stand, let alone walk. Likewise, broken wings would be useless and the bird couldn't even glide. However, a dog with legs bound 24/7 could hobble around just as a bird with clipped wings has the ability to "hobble" around in the air in that it can glide to the ground or even fly a short distance without gaining height depending on the clip or size of the bird.

In all honestly the psychological impact of clipping a bird has no equivalent in another species. Every single part of a bird evolved to support flight: skeletal structure, respiratory, muscular, and digestive systems, etc. and depriving a bird of doing the one thing its entire body and mind were designed to do has no comparison. It's psychologically devastating and some birds never recover from a clip. I know because I have one.

I don't know how I feel about clipping being made illegal. I just don't want it to happen anymore. I don't want breeders and pet stores to clip, I don't want owners to clip, and most of all I don't want vets to promote or support clipping.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight