Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clipping wings after years of free flight

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Clipping wings after years of free flight

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Another GCC would be the best bet, but even then... it's a gamble. I would look into a rescue or a sanctuary as you can foster a bird first as a "trial run" to see if it works out or not. Another species, it's even a bigger gamble. But remember... 2 is more work than 1, more noise, more mess, more time.

I would try out separating dog/bird time for a month or two, and see how everyone adjusts.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

yes if the choice was keeping either animal locked away for the others safety or giving 1 up i would have to do what's best for both. :gcc: are bullies and his bird will try to get to that puppy the first chance he gets. you might look into potty training your bird so he doesn't have to be shut away from everyone.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 am

Keep the pup and the bird (seperately of course) and get rid of the gf if shes gunna be like that about the poop, ffs its small, pretty firm and easy as anything to clean up. Just cover the sofa with a throw when the birds out and put newspaper on/under the most common poop spots. Shut the dog away for a couple of hours per day so the bird can come out with you.

If it doesn't work out very well that way then it would be better to rehome the dog as he is younger, less bonded and more adaptable. I don't understand why its always the birds that end up rehomes yet are the ones that have generally been there longer and will be harder to adapt to a new life. That said I don't understand why people dont look into stuff properly in the first place so they know what might go wrong and have a plan in place to prevent it.

One day I will have a dog again but not whilst we are living here for a few reasons, one is the safety of my birds and I refuse to restrict their lives just cuz I want a dog too.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 am

:lol: marie i was thinking the same thing about the fiance. if my son's father had told me he was bothered by bird poop and he wanted my birds kept in 1 room he would have to go. i told him 14 years ago when he met my :amazon:, he was creeped out by him i said the bird was here before him if he can't live with it he could leave.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

pennyandrocky wrote::lol: marie i was thinking the same thing about the fiance. if my son's father had told me he was bothered by bird poop and he wanted my birds kept in 1 room he would have to go. i told him 14 years ago when he met my :amazon:, he was creeped out by him i said the bird was here before him if he can't live with it he could leave.

I'm pretty much the same, i couldn't be with anyone who couldn't accept that I come as part of a package, that includes both present pets and any future ones. I would prefer someone who loved them as much as me but if not they would at least 100% have to adapt and tolerate them to the point of being able to look after them should I get sick or otherwise being unable to care for them fully even if they didn't love them as much. My current partner loves them as much as me now but I doubt he would admit to that ;)
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Utoomom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

Michael wrote:How about break the dogs legs so that it can't get to the parrot? :roll:

Now, now....play nice! sarcasm will not help those that come here for needed advise. Just an ole gal's thoughts... ;)
Utoomom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo

Postby Utoomom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm

You mentioned that you have a spare bedroom right? well, then this is a no brainer. If your conure cannot be with you outside the bedroom, than you spend time with him IN the bedroom. When you want him outside of the bedroom, you place your pup in the bedroom. It's really a delicate balancing act. Trust me, I live in a large one bedroom apt. & have a boxer and a U2. Thing is, my dog is a senior and barely acknowlegdes my bird. On the other hand, my U2 is the one that wants to interact with my dog...pups require LOTS of time and energy as do fids.
I agree with the others, DO NOT CLIP, that is NOT the answer. I live in a constant vigilant balancing act between the two. It's hard, I know. But you can work this out without rehoming any of the two. PS: fids really dont mix with ANY predatory animals, thats a fact.

Good luck to ya~~
Utoomom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo

Postby Andromeda » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 pm

mlapsker wrote:Wow I can't believe the information about the GCC being aggressive? I mean mine, bites me once in a while and absolutly hates a few of my friends but ive never seen him purposly attack anything. I am really stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

My conure was not aggressive with his previous family (the wife and children) except the husband and the dog. He is not aggressive with me or my husband but he is aggressive toward my Poi and visitors.

Your GCC might not be aggressive with you but there is a very good chance he would be aggressive with the dog given the chance because they are just bullies with other animals, no matter how large the animal. Regardless, it's not worth taking the chance because it could only take 1 second for the dog to accidentally or purposefully kill the bird if the bird did decide to be aggressive.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Utoomom wrote:
Michael wrote:How about break the dogs legs so that it can't get to the parrot? :roll:

Now, now....play nice! sarcasm will not help those that come here for needed advise. Just an ole gal's thoughts... ;)

Why is is that suggesting to clip a parrot's wings is considered normal (even great advice in many cases) yet doing the equivalent of the same thing to a cat, dog, or human makes folks gasp?

And I don't wanna hear about "it's just like hair," "it is painless," or "they grow back." If we wanna nit pick, we could talk about gently tying a dog's legs together 24x7 for 6 months and then untie the rope just to do it all over again.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Andromeda » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Michael wrote:Why is is that suggesting to clip a parrot's wings is considered normal (even great advice in many cases) yet doing the equivalent of the same thing to a cat, dog, or human makes folks gasp?

And I don't wanna hear about "it's just like hair," "it is painless," or "they grow back." If we wanna nit pick, we could talk about gently tying a dog's legs together 24x7 for 6 months and then untie the rope just to do it all over again.

I don't think it's nitpicking to say breaking a dog's legs is not the equivalent of clipping a bird's wings. The equivalent would be breaking the bird's wings. However, equating wing clipping to tying a dog's legs together 24/7 is a good comparison and I agree that both should be equally outrageous and offensive to any humane individual. Sadly wing clipping is currently considered "normal" in the U.S. and while there is no excuse for it that's the reality. Some people clip for "safety" and some people clip for "convenience" but most people clip.

You, me, and others that advocate keeping flighted birds are in the minority in this country right now and we are fighting an uphill battle but it's one that needs to be fought. I am optimistic that one day wing clipping will be considered cruel and barbaric in the U.S. but it won't come without effort to educate people and I'm glad that someone like you has hundreds of videos of birds flying safely indoors to show people that with common sense and simple precautions it's totally fine.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight