Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New baby Sennie learning to fly

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

New baby Sennie learning to fly

Postby Strawfrawg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am

Just brought my 9 week old Sennie home and we're working on indoor flight per Michael's method. So far it's gone very well. His first-ever attempt at flight came the day after I brought him home, with a flapping hop from the door of his cage to a chair about 8 inches away. After just three days of practice, Marvin has learned to fly to my right shoulder and land perfectly, and fly cleanly from object to object on command. The first time he went to my shoulder, he flubbed it and landed directly on my face (ouch!)...but now he has good control. So far he doesn't fly unless he is asked to but he does it with confidence. This was much easier than I thought it would be. I expect he will start doing his own thing as he gets a bit older and we may have to work on it more, but right now he is doing splendidly!
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: New baby Sennie learning to fly

Postby Cockatielsongs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Congratulations! I think it's absolutely beautiful that you witnessed his first flight. He's very lucky to have you to guide him, all the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:galah:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Strawfrawg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks! He's getting really good at landings now...it's amazing how fast they learn. He still takes a lot of time preparing for takeoff, though...revving himself up with chirps and fluffing and shifting from foot to foot. There's nothing cuter than a baby bird learning to fly!
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

Awww I know... George is learning to fly at the moment. We do had the landing on the face scenario. Or straight in the chest... Luckily he did it to me and he hadample padding. He's getting better now.

So great he's picking it up so quickly :-)
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm

This is the perfect time to teach the bird recall.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm

I bet he's flying like a champ by now?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Strawfrawg » Fri May 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Sorry, Michael...didn't see your reply for ages. Marvin is officially a stunt flyer now. He zooms around every morning and just before bed, and is incredible at last-second turns and altitude changes. He gets a real kick out of extreme aviation!

I had to take down a ceiling fan because he loved landing hard and making it spin. Not to mention that he wanted to eat it, which I know would be very bad for him.

I am so sorry my 'tiel was clipped, in hindsight. Never again, now that I've seen how healthy it is for Marvin to fly around. He absolutely loves it.
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm amazed to hear about so many birds landing on random objects, like the fan. My Sennie will not land on weird objects, flat objects, unstable objects, low objects, unfamiliar surfaces... basically it's just perches, couches, chair backs, and people! lol

I still remember her first flight too, it is such an amazing sight and feeling, isn't it?! It's so nice to hear from other happy birds and owners :)
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby Strawfrawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Marvin remains choosy about where he lands, preferring very large and stable objects with the exception of the ceiling fan...and that one time, the @#$%ing stove.

Brittany, your bird doesn't like flat surfaces? Mine is exactly the opposite. If a perch is mounted on a large, flat surface (like the top of a bookshelf), he lands on the bookshelf first and climbs up to the perch. He also has taken a liking to landing and walking around on the floor. How interesting that our birds are so different! I wonder what goes into their individual selection processes. In Marvin's case, it was trial and error. When he first started flying he made a couple of bad choices, knocking things he perched on to the floor, and seems to have learned from the mistakes. He does occasionally decide to land on the trim of a doorframe, in which case he calls for mommy to help him get down... he hasn't yet mastered taking off from a vertical surface.
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby janetafloat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

It's so great seeing them mastering flight, isn't it? Alfie was about 7 months old when he came to me and had never been clipped but his previous owner told me he didn't fly much. I don't think her living room was big enough probably for him to get enough momentum in flight, especially as a young bird that hadn't learned his flying skills yet. In my house the living room and kitchen are together which gives him a reasonable distance to fly in and his flying has got better and better. He zooms about doing 'handbrake turns' and he skims over the furniture too, starting off from the top of his cage at one end of the room or the top of the kitchen cabinets at the other end and then drops down and skims over the top of the furniture and then back up again to land. I love it! I'd really really like to find a way for him to fly in a bigger area too.

On the downside (for me), he'll now land pretty much anywhere....which means no-where is safe because after the landing comes the chewing :? . His latest thing is landing on top of picture frames and will get in a couple of good chews before I get to him. He also now, at least once every training session, will get to the treats and manage to grab a few before I get to it LOL! No matter how much I tuck them under something...he's tricky :lol:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight