Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my parrot can't take off

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

my parrot can't take off

Postby CarlosQuaker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got a 2 year old Quaker Parrot who won't take off. He's got all of his feathers and was fully fledged, but got clipped the day I picked him up from the breeder. He is able to fly pretty well considering he had been clipped, yet he won't take off at all.
I've seen him take off a few times, but only when he's been scared. I see him pacing back and forward on his cage trying to fly and he won't take off. I have to pick him up and sort of push my hand foward creating enough thrust for him to fly.
He can fly pretty well (a little lop sided because he's molting) and is regularly being flown outside wearing a harness. But of course I have to take off for him.

So is there any way I could possibly get him to take off by himself? and also could I be causing this problem because he knows that I'll pick him him to fly?
Carlos - 23 month old Quaker Parrot :quaker:
CarlosQuaker
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: my parrot can't take off

Postby marie83 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I wouldn't particularly want to try walking if I felt off balance, I'm pretty sure I definitely wouldn't want to fly if it was possible as a human as its further to fall so its no wonder he doesn't want to fly unless he has to really. I also think parrots can tend to get lazy in captivity although a lot will fly for the fun of it rather than to get from a-b.
Michael has an article or forum post somewhere about teaching birds to fly, whilst yours can already fly you will be able to use the advice to encourage take offs and teach recalls.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: my parrot can't take off

Postby fennieFufu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:37 am

Hi,

my Senegal was clipped when I got him too. When his wings were fully grown, he did not attempt to try flying either. As he was the only bird in the house, I thought he needed some coaching, so I pushed him to the windows everyday to watch other birds fly. He picked up from there, learning to take off, fly in a straight line and then turning.

From just flapping his wings wildly so that he would crash to the ground, I had saw that he learned to control his wings and how he flies.

So maybe your parrot needs a crash course in taking off too?

:senegal: :gray:
Fennie
fennieFufu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Indoor Freeflight