Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

House proofing for one quaker

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

House proofing for one quaker

Postby Iggy's here » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:40 am

Hi I have a young Quaker whose wings were clipped when I got him from the breeder. I do however, plan to let him be flighted once he grows his feathers back. But after reading the thread on house proofing I am a bit uncertain about whether it will be possible to make all the changes necessary to allow him to fly. We do not own out home so things like screwing pictures into the wall are not possible.

Our landlady has just informed us that she wants to sell the house, so we will be looking for another rental and are unsure as to what will be available. In other words we can't be too picky...especially if we want to stay near my son's school (which we do).

One thing that I noticed is that many of the posts that were made on the house proofing thread were made by people with large parrots and/or several parrots. I am kind of hoping that with one small Quaker it would not be necessary to be so extreme in house proofing precautions.

What are people's thoughts or experiences in regards to this.

Thanks
Iggy's here
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker-Blue
Flight: No

Re: House proofing for one quaker

Postby cml » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:34 am

One thing that I noticed is that many of the posts that were made on the house proofing thread were made by people with large parrots and/or several parrots. I am kind of hoping that with one small Quaker it would not be necessary to be so extreme in house proofing precautions.

It depends, some things you will have to do regardless of parrot size, like securing electrical wires, lamps etc. This applies even to an unflighted parrot.
Wall hangings etc might not need to be screwed into the wall, depending on the parrot weight. Stitch weighs 190ish grams, he managed to pull down a 4kg painting. I am just superglad he didnt injure himself, and since then all wall hangings are firmly screwed into the walls.

What parrot proofing is it you find extreme? It will help if you provide examples, and if you do I will try to help you come up with alternative solutions :). Your bird deserves to be flying, and you deserve a flying bird so I'll do what I can to help.

We do not own out home so things like screwing pictures into the wall are not possible.

Niether do we, its a rented appartment, but why wouldnt you be allowed to screw a few screws into the walls? That's pretty much standard here, and you are even allowed to leave the holes in the walls unless its excessive. The landlord prepares the appartment for each new tenant, so new tapestry or paint is applied pretty much everytime the appartment changes tenants (which is quite seldom tbh, appartments here are VERY sought after).

Well, I guess its different depending on where you live and your landlord.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: House proofing for one quaker

Postby Iggy's here » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for your reply CML.

I guess the main things I am concerned about are structural changes... basically anything involving nails, screws, light fixtures etc as here in Australia there are very strict regulations with rentals. Most rentals go through real-estate agencies and the tenants are subjected to inspections several times a year. You are definitely not allowed to put a nail anywhere in the structure of the house...unless you have written permission which tends to be difficult to get.

I definitely want Iggy to be flighted!!...but also safe!

Thank you
Iggy's here
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker-Blue
Flight: No

Return to Indoor Freeflight