Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

will clipping my Greys wings stop him bullying our Cockatiel

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

will clipping my Greys wings stop him bullying our Cockatiel

Postby Barry1955 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi all,

We have a 2 year old CAG called Louie, who was given to us because his first owner was female, and Louie would not take to her; this was when he was about 9 months old.
We already had a 16 year old Cockatiel called Broland, who is my Wifes other love.
Louie has become my best pal, is hand trained ( with me ) and has a vocabulary of about 100 words, he loves his Java Tree, and enjoys playfights with me ( says hey pacck it in ! ) loves throwing his toys onto the floor ( says `oops` ) and is generally a happy cheeky devil.
Unfortunately he has started to bully our Tiel, flying at him/forcing him off his favourite roosting places, so much that we never leave them unnattended out together, but now he waits untill we are not looking before making a move.
We don`t want to clip him, but would clipping him `calm him down`, and prevent this behaviour , or is it normal Grey behaviour ?
Thanks, Barry ( uk )http://theparrotforum.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=16#http://theparrotforum.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=16#
Barry1955
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 yrs old Congo African Grey and 16 yrs old Grey Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: will clipping my Greys wings stop him bullying our Cockatiel

Postby liz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Louie is jealouse of Broland. Louie has to learn to respect Broland or be caged when Broland is out.
When Broland is out you must protect him. If Louie goes for him use a body block to stop him. After flying into you a few times he might just give up when you are there.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Clipping has never solved anything for the simple reason that it doesn't address the problem, just the symptom.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Clipping his wing may stop your Grey from flying over to knock you Cockatiel off his perch, but that is the symptom of the underlying issue and it won't cause the Grey to like the Cockatiel any better.
It is perfectly normal for a Grey to not want anything to do with a bird of another species and if they were closer to the same size the grey would probably ignore it for the most part. But, I think that you are also playing with the cockatiel in the presence of the Grey and if the Grey has bonded to you then it is jealous of that time. Please understand that to the bird that has bonded to you that you are its mate and playing with another bird is like running around on your wife and therefore is a no, no.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 pm

I think it is more like a kid not wanting to share Daddy's attention.
The only contact I have had with Greys is the one who wanted to kill Myrtle. She was the third parrot and he as the second was already not getting enough. The real shame was that the woman put the cages touching each other. No wonder Myrtle was scared to come out of her cage.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Hookturn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 pm

I know that this is totally off topic but I'm stunned that someone would bail on a bird after only nine months because it wouldn't "bond to her". I have a little one fighting for his life right now and whether he chooses me or not I would never give up on him. Sorry I just had to vent a little.
Hookturn
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:56 am

One of my biggest problem with humans is that there is a large contingent of them that seem to think of other animals as inferior or as somehow less than the living, breathing, thinking, feeling beings that they are and so they treat their automobiles with more compassion than they accord to the animals that we share this world with.
I may not be the smartest or the brightest light in the store but I could not hold it together if it were not for my animal friends. Although I am still new to birds, I have worked with animals for my entire life. I personally value their lives and welfare as much as I do my own and the only true difference that I have ever found between them and us is our physical form, Well perhaps our capacity for cruelty which appears to be lacking in the rest of the animal world.
Sorry for this little rant but Hookturn's comment kind of brought it bubbling to the surface again. We are still pulling for you and JJ, just want you to know that.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:55 am

When I used to volunteer for Wild Life Rehab at the NC zoo it would really flip me out when someone in charge would say they don't have feelings like we do. I was even put down for giving human emotions to wild animals.

I totally agree with Wolf.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Hookturn wrote:I know that this is totally off topic but I'm stunned that someone would bail on a bird after only nine months because it wouldn't "bond to her". I have a little one fighting for his life right now and whether he chooses me or not I would never give up on him. Sorry I just had to vent a little.

How about somebody who would put the parrot's feet to the fire on the stove or the one that punched the parrot off its perch because the parrot bit him? Or the one who kept a cockatoo in a closet for two years because she did not like her new husband? Or the breeders that keep them in a basement with a single light bulb and no windows? Or the SPCA volunteer who took all the birds brought to the center to 'rehabilitate' them and then the authorities found over 300 bird corpses in her house? Or the president of a parrot rescue group that left over 30 animals (birds, reptiles, bunnies, cats, etc) in her old house after they moved to another house and they all died from lack of water and food? Or the rescue that had a huge infestation of mice and cockroaches and would 'recycle' the seeds thrown on the floor to feed the birds again - with all the mice and roach poop in it, of course, and for which they were putting poison out? Or the other rescue that having lost their lease because the president used all the donations she constantly begged for to keep on getting her criminal son out of jail, moved them all to an abandoned church and left them there? Or the very well regarded lady who posted for years on the internet, calling herself a rescuer and, when she dropped dead of an aneurism and when her husband asked for somebody to take the birds this rescue I know went and found two rooms, the front one with nice looking birds (the ones that always appeared on the pictures she posted) and a back room that she called 'the little shop of horrors' with sick and dying birds with green water and cobwebs between the filthy cages?

Stunned? Not me, not even mildly surprised. People are capable of the most incredible cruelty when it comes animals -even people who claim to be animal lovers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:44 pm

No, I am not stunned by any of this, I am not even surprised by it, but it still bothers me and ... well, it makes me ashamed of being a human, I guess that is the most appropriate way to put it.
Well this fits in with all this so take a look at this if you want to.
http://theworldofafricangreys.weebly.co ... -poem.html
I saved it for me but thought to share it as well.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight