Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A parrot that prefers to walk

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

A parrot that prefers to walk

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Yes, since I got him a year ago... when I open his cage door he does not ever ever fly out... he climbs out and down and walks to me from the floor.... Also, it seems to be his preferred method of transportation even though he does fly time to time.... I am just wondering is this normal???? Could this be some sort of result of him having been clipped in the past that I do not know about? Not only does this seem nutty for a pet parrot. But, he doesn't like to ride my shoulder like other captive parrots do. He must be near me at all times...however never is he on my shoulder except briefly once in a blue moon. The other thing is he will come over and park himself on my foot. It is so bizarre. Wouldn't a parrot want to be off the floor? Especially, being as small as he is...I would think it would be scary for him hanging out down there a lot. :roll:
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: A parrot that prefers to walk

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:02 pm

It is probably related to his having been clipped when he was young, but there is no way to know for certain. My Senegal uses flight as her main means of getting from one place to the other, which is great because of the number of cats in the house as well as my two puppies. She does, however go through periods where she feels that she must absolutely walk across the living room floor from one end to the other, deliberately veering of to walk in front of and past as many cats as she can find in the room.
My Grey prefers to walk on the floor from room to room.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:49 am

Myrtle walks on the floor to steal toys from the other animals. She will also take their dog biscuts.
Myrtle will also follow Rambo through the house probably to see if he finds something fun to get into.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:28 am

Actually, the funny thing is... I think he is beginning just recently to fly more. Now that I think about it... the past mornings he has flown out of his cage instead of walking. Plus, every morning as a routine we do flight from the flight perches. So, maybe it did have to do with being clipped prior. Things take time...I guess. Though he does still love the floor. He loves to crawl under things especially like this little cut out under the drawer part of my desk...or under a chair which he hides under and pokes his head out. :flapping:
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:21 am

I believe that the Jardine's parrot nests in holes in trees, which it probably enlarges to suit its needs, so it would be a normal choice of hidey places as well as the exploration of any other place that might conceal a nice nesting hole would be a common choice of activities for them, I think.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54 am

Yes, my jardine likes to 'hide' in boxes when she is hormonal and we know that Pod is so it's no surprise he does, too. BabyBoyd is a good flier but it's not a bird that would fly just for the fun of it (as my other pois would). She also prefers to 'nest' in boxes on the floor (she particularly likes the corner of the room near the radiator). And she does like to go to ground more than the other pois... she gets a plate with food which she shares with Pookey (TAG) placed on top of a cage but she always eats first from the ones on the floor.

And yes, birds that are kept in cages for many hours every day for a long period of time do tend to walk more BUT, depending on the species, they 'take up' flying instead as time goes by.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight