Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First indoor freeflight

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: First indoor freeflight

Postby kristielee8 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:31 am

Hi I'm sorry to jump in on your post I hope you don't mind me doing so. I am now having a similar problem although what happens in my case is that when I got my bird the previous owner already had one wing clipped and they advised me to clip the other when I got home. So when I first get him home I go to get him out to clip the other wing but before I have a chance to get hold of him he flies off straight into the door and slightly crack his beak straight across the front and I completely freak out and am so angry at myself for letting this happen. I message the previous owner a picture of the crack she says it's ok and not to worry about it but clip the other wing so I do this straight away. Now everyday that I've had him he is brought out for play time for a few good hours and in this time never leaves his play area (I usually stand near him interacting plus I have his favourite foods up there with him or othertimes i have him on my shoulder or holding him close giving him affection) but now today for some reason he wants to take off from the play stand all the time (and he is not taking off in an effort to come to me) he is lifting his wings up and bobs up and down then goes to fly off. I stop him correcting him that no I don't want him to do that and use my hands to replace him in the middle of his play area again. But again he tries to take off and then one of the times I did not get to him in time and he flies even with both wings clipped just as good as when only one was done and now he has re cracked the area he hit the first time. I'm so worried to get him out now I'm too scared that he is going to really hurt himself. Should I leave him in his cage now because it's damaged and give it time to reheal I'm just so worried that if I don't get him out like I have been that all my hard work will go out the window and I'm worried if I do bring him out he is going to get hurt again. Should I reclip the wings shorter because he has good flight too, I just feel so sorry for him when he hurts himself.
kristielee8
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Hindsight is 20/20 or so I am told, the biggest mistake was in letting him out right away instead of allowing him a day or so to calm down. This is not really your fault because you did not know and the previous owner could have told you and easily have prevented this from occurring the first time and then again the second time. Also the first thing to do whenever a bird suffers injury is to take it to the vet. You can't look at a cracked beak and tell how much damage was done, it usually takes x-rays to do this. This is even more important to do now that it has further damaged its beak, so take it to the vet and follow his instructions.

Now when you bring a new bird home it is terrified as it is all alone in a strange new place which for a bird is nearly the same as a death sentence. It is no wonder that he flew about in a panic. The thing to do is hang out with them to reassure them with them in the cage so that it understands that although it doesn't yet trust you that you are there for it and if you offer a treat even if you have to leave it in its food dish it will start it learning that you are the bringer of good things. I would not have allowed the bird out of the cage until it begins to relax a bit in its new environment, but again the previous owner did not share any of this with you so you did not know these things. A few sheets hung up over things like windows or other places that the bird might fly into would help by acting as a cushion for the panicked bird. You could do this in a smaller room easier and the smaller room would prevent the bird from gaining as much speed thereby reducing the impact if it does fly into something.
So take the bird to the vet and follow his instructions and keep us informed and when you are ready to try letting the bird out of the cag or are ready to start working with your new friend let us know and we will be happy to help you in any way that we can.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby kristielee8 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks wolf I'll keep you posted
kristielee8
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 am

Great ! I will be looking to hear more from you and maybe even get to see a picture or two of your bird ( hint, hint).
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby kristielee8 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:46 am

Haha wolf I'll def post up a pic of our boy. So just to update vet said its fine just be more careful. I've setup another area for him in a smaller room and just pull the curtains now until he is familiar with his surroundings plus I've got two stands now and take him from one to the other they are only a couple of metres apart and I'm trying to show him to fly to and from the play stands. Fingers crossed this works and will interest him. Ok I'll try to get some pics up of him now :)
kristielee8
Parrotlet

Postby kristielee8 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:53 am

This is our booga
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
kristielee8
Parrotlet

Postby kristielee8 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:55 am

And again, lil cutie
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
kristielee8
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 am

I love the pictures, he is quite the handsome fellow isn't he? I have to leave for a Dr. appointment but will check back later. let me know how it goes with this flight attempt, please.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight