Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new green cheek with wings clipped

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

new green cheek with wings clipped

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi,

I purchased my green cheek by paying a deposit after seeing it, the petshop clipped the wings because apparently i asked them to do it when i didnt,

since being out he had flew into a few things as they clipped 1 wing only so the balance and control just isnt there, i wish to have a free flight bird as birds are supposed to fly, i purchased the bird nearly 3 weeks ago so roughly how long will this wing take to grow back or grow new set so then it can fly around...

since earlier when rocco crashed into the window he has now not tried to fly again so will these also do any mentality damage causing him to be afraid of flying or?

thank you in advanced
lee ireland
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parent raised green cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: new green cheek with wings clipped

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:44 pm

I am not a fan of clipping any birds wings in the first place as to me not only is it bad for the bird it kind of defeats the purpose of having a bird. Any way it takes an adult bird two years to regrow his flights once they have been clipped but with a young bird such as this you should have an extra molt in your favor that could cut the time down to 1 year. I would however get his other wing clipped to match the one that has already been clipped provided it was done right. Clipping just one side affects not only their ability to fly but also their balance when perched or on the ground. This could result in unexpected falls from perches with no way to brake the fall.
I doubt that his crash will have actually hurt him at this point in time as they are able to withstand a few crashes, they have to as it takes a little time to master the art of flight.
Both breeders and pet shops almost always clip a birds wings before you get them and some will claim that you requested it even if you specify that you don't want this done. They just can't be trusted.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you for your reply,

A molt is what is happening right now, rocco has more and more of the pin feathers popping up over the head and the main tail has a new one coming out, lots of scratching and lots of bathing right now so do you think i should leave it for a while and see if the molt grows back some new wing feathers or not?

saying that when rocco flies around he can land on things and seems to land on the ground ok, always flying from perch to perch very well so maybe he has adapted to the new change?

worth monitoring for a while or get done asap
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:17 pm

with 2 wings clipped will my bird still be able to fly though?

obviously i want him to fly, not only is it healthy but also fun to watch, the whole point of getting a bird is because you like that they fly surely otherwise why not a cat or dog lol,

but on a serious note i wish for my bird to fly so if by getting the other clipped and still be able to fly around my room im all for that
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:26 pm

If he is going through a molt now, I would wait until it is over and then just balance out the wings. It kind of depends on how many of the primaries were clipped as a bird only replaces half of them during each molt. So if they clipped half or less of the primaries then he could replace all of them during this molt.
If the clipping is done properly then the idea is to limit the amount of lift that the bird normally generates, not to stop all flight. But clipping only one wing is not a proper clip, for any bird for any reason.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby lee ireland » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:34 pm

they clipped the first 5

ok i will wait and see what happens, if they do not regrow then i shall get the other done the same :)

however the last thing i want is to put him off of flying all together, i opened the cage again after he had his crash and he didnt event want to come to the top poor bugger

thank you for the help :)
lee ireland
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Many times, most in fact, clipping a birds wings will cause then to be much more insecure about everything. He ventured out of the cage thinking that he could fly normally and he could not. So since his last flight was so hard to control it scared him some and now that he can't fly properly he has to reassess his coming out to explore his environment as he is unsure of how he is going to escape from danger.
I won't say that this is exactly what is going through his mind, but I know that something similar to it would be going through mine if I were him. Just be patient and give him plenty of opportunity to get out and he will when he is ready to.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:09 pm

lee ireland wrote:they clipped the first 5

ok i will wait and see what happens, if they do not regrow then i shall get the other done the same :)

however the last thing i want is to put him off of flying all together, i opened the cage again after he had his crash and he didnt event want to come to the top poor bugger

thank you for the help :)

What do you mean by 'I shall get the other done the same'? Is it that the bird got only one wing clipped? Because if this is the case, don't wait and clip the other one so both are even. A 'one wing' clip is what it's called 'unilateral' and the MOST dangerous clip of them all because the bird cannot find its balance. They are much better off having both wings clipped evenly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight