Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Friendly bird sometimes divebombs and bites?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Friendly bird sometimes divebombs and bites?

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:28 am

Still trying to work this out. There are feral populations of parrots in several European nations, so I am thinking that we also need to figure on the parrot type as well as shortest day and shortest night. Senegals are from western Africa in a savanna to woodland type of habitat that I believe is also tropical. I know that Senegal parrots require a minimum of 10 hours of sleep per night. The most important aspect of the solar lighting for birds appears to be the exposure to the two twilight periods that occur at dawn and again at dusk. The bird does not have to be awake to benefit from exposure to these periods So they could sleep through the twilight period at dawn and wake up later in the morning as long as their body is exposed to this period. So to my thinking Brussels is just about as far north as I would try to use a natural solar light schedule with any tropical bird. And could be pushing it too far, but the responses of the bird will be what lets us know this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:46 pm

I checked the sunrise, sunset and civil twilight calendars for both my location and Brussels and they seem to have one hour less than me (they have 8.5 hours and I have 9.5, roughly) so, although it might not be ideal, taking into consideration the bird is getting so aggressive, I would try to keep him to a solar schedule with maybe a little tweaking during twilight (extending it a bit - not much so as not to mess up the twilight period but a little bit). And, of course, diet helps too because if you free-feed high protein you are pretty much screwed up anyway...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rmoses » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Wolf said"The bird does not have to be awake to benefit from exposure to these periods So they could sleep through the twilight period at dawn and wake up later in the morning as long as their body is exposed to this period." If this works whether the bird is awake or asleep, then maybe it will work in the northern latitudes as long as the bird is given the sufficient hours of quiet and peace needed. Experiencing a dusk and dawn in each 24 hour period no matter how close together may suffice. After writing this, I went back to check dates and realize that this was posted over a year ago now. So I will leave it as is and ask if any more research has been done or if the person that made the original post found a solution. Sorry guys, I read alot of the threads on here and forget some of them are old. Useful still.
Rick
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby liz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:17 pm

I was also wondering about the time change for winter. It has been getting light at 7:30 and dark at 6 pm. Two give them dawn and dusk it does not leave much time for the lights. I have been feeding at 9 am and 5 pm.

Rainbow is hormonal right now. I have noticed that when she is her nostrils will become red and they are just plane when she is not. I have also noticed it on the Cockatiels and Myrtle.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Rmoses wrote:Wolf said"The bird does not have to be awake to benefit from exposure to these periods So they could sleep through the twilight period at dawn and wake up later in the morning as long as their body is exposed to this period." If this works whether the bird is awake or asleep, then maybe it will work in the northern latitudes as long as the bird is given the sufficient hours of quiet and peace needed. Experiencing a dusk and dawn in each 24 hour period no matter how close together may suffice. After writing this, I went back to check dates and realize that this was posted over a year ago now. So I will leave it as is and ask if any more research has been done or if the person that made the original post found a solution. Sorry guys, I read alot of the threads on here and forget some of them are old. Useful still.
Rick

No, it doesn't work in places like Finland, Sweden, etc because it's the number of hours between the periods that sets the circannual cycle and there, your shortest day is only 6 hours long.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight