Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flying after injury

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Flying after injury

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 am

I really think that you are pretty much doing all that can be done to encourage him to learn to fly with his newly acquired handicap. At least, I can't think off anything else that would help him. At this point all I can do is to encourage you to keep trying.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

Yeah, me too. There is no suggestion I could add to what you are already doing. Just one comment, my GCC, which was clipped all her early life and until she came here, doesn't really fly a lot. She would much rather be on my shoulder or hanging from the neck of my top than flying around. It's not that she cannot do it, she can, but she will only do it as a last resort. The reason why I am saying this is that I think that GCCs, as needy as they are for 'touch' and closeness, might be able to live happily with flying much as long as they have somebody to cuddle to.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby pukeko » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:23 am

Thanks, all. Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I was mostly looking for some short, simple exercises that we could do every day in addition to flapping while I walk or run. He is still a nervous pooper, so flying onto my bed is more of a special occasion/get out the towels sort of event.

My maroon belly didn't fly much either, despite being fully flighted. I thought it had more to do with her in all likelihood being clipped before fledging (based on some persistent logic failures during which she took routes designed for flying but never chose to fly) and having numerous human slaves while growing up. This boy is certainly cuddly, but still seems to relish having the option of saying no to a hand or stick a bit more than cuddling right now.. though once he gets on you he wants a good 45 min to 2 hour session :) I am more than happy to cuddle him as much as he wants! His cuddle time will undoubtedly increase as he continues to really settle in and become confident in us as a home, and overcomes his hand aversion with lots of gentle help, but I doubt he will ever desire as much cuddle time as my mbc, who could happily claim a hand for four hours twice per day.
pukeko
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: green cheeked conure

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight