Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

No Regrets

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: No Regrets

Postby liz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:10 am

Lori, that is a great idea. I covered the hole behind the toilet with thick non treated wood to give Rainbow something to pick on. He is really bad on anything within his reach. Myrtle has done a job on my cabinets and door ways.

I took Pajarita's way and put metal on almost everything. It would have been a lot easier and cheaper to use your method. I will try it on my non protected places.

Sides of cabinets were being chewed on so my son screwed pieces of safe metal on them. The top of cabinet doors are more difficult. I set the v shaped metal on top of the cabinet doors. That works great. I just have to get used to them being there. Most of the time I forget and the metal falls to the floor.

You have a flying toddler. Even pedestrians do damage at their level. They know what I mean when I say "stop that" "get away from there" "fly". They listen but go right back to their work when I turn my head. They are pushing my buttons.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:59 am

I am lucky that my husband has CAG and TAG so he is sympathetic to chewed stuff.
He is also talented àt carpentry, so what cant be shielded by metal edging or disposable wood gets repaired or replaced.
We have our own place, because nobody would ever be daft enough to rent to us. ;)
I have supply of untreated hazel, birch and beech branches now, because we have 3.3 acres of coppice wood in Wales we visit often.
All our birds are flighted and always have been. I would never clip a birds wings it wrecks them phsicologically and in heart and lung developement too.
It would be like buying a greyhound and chopping a leg off to slow it down.
There is nothing better than calling a parrot and seeing it flying towards you because it wants to.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:20 pm

I REALLY like the way you see things, Lori! You are a woman after my own heart!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight