Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

should i let him out

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

should i let him out

Postby danamaynah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:50 am

so Crowley still doesn't feed from my hands but if I leave a treat close to me he will hesitantly come take it if I'm not looking while standing close.

I was thinking of letting him out of the cage, I just want to know will he fly back to his cage or will he just avoid going back at all costs, I honestly don't want to run after him and freak him out, I would be thankful for some advice
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: should i let him out

Postby liz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:30 am

Parrot proof the room he is in and let him out. Do not feed or give him water except in his cage so he has to go back for it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:00 am

Well he does need time out of his cage. He needs the time out so that he can fly and get some exercise so it is good for his physical well being. He needs to look about his new home and see from you that it is OK, so it is also good for his mental and emotional well being as well.

Now, I would place some sheers on the windows for his protection as he will at first probably think that they are just an opening that he can just fly straight through, so the sheers will help to reduce any impact should he fly full on into one of them. Likewise I would cover any mirrors in the room for the same reason. I would let him out, at least the first few times about 2 hours before he is accustomed to receiving his dinner, just in case he does not make it easy to return him to his cage. If you can't get him to step up to go back to his cage for dinner and in case that he does not return to it on his own, you can, if the inside lights are not on, catch him quite easily when he goes to roost at dark and return him to his cage. That may have to occur a few times before he will either step up for you or return to the cage on his own as long as you keep his dinner coming at the same time everyday as it should have been occurring by this time.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby danamaynah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:09 am

thanks for the replies

so if I catch him to put him back wont he hate me for it ?
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 am

danamaynah wrote:thanks for the replies

so if I catch him to put him back wont he hate me for it ?

Just don't chase him all over the place and give him a chance to go back himself.I would turn the lights off and catch him but if he takes flight turn them on immediately.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby danamaynah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:11 am

ok thanks for the tips :thumbsup:
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:35 am

This method depends on the cage itself but whenever I have a bird that would not go back into its cage on its own and would freak out if caught by hand (and I have many of those: finches, canaries, cardinals, quails) what I do is put seeds on the bottom of the cage on a white paper plate, put a very soft light right behind the cage (so it would shine through the bars and illuminate the inside of the cage), prop the door open, turn off all the lights in the room and leave it (I peep through a little crack so I can close the door when they go in). Birds ALWAYS fly toward the light when surrounded by darkness and been hungry and seeing the seeds inside will make it impossible for him to resist.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:51 am

great idea thanks :D
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby liz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:11 am

I have learned from Myrtle that birds cannot see as much as we do in dim light. She is quite quit capable of even flying side was to get through a doorway while someone is standing in it. She was in the wrong place for "nite nite" one evening when I turned off the lights. She took flight to go to were she wanted to sleep and flew into a wall that she knew was there.

When the light is dim and your bird has already gone to roost it will be easy to pick it up. I use both hands to scoop and just hold them in place with 2 thumbs. It sounds funny that it happens but after a few times of pick up and put back bonds the bird to you as his servant. He starts to think of it as you helping him and becomes much more relaxed with hands. He then will consider hands a help instead of a hurt.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am

You are right, Liz, but this is not a handfed or even a captive-bred bird, it's a parent-raised and, most likely, a 'taken from the wild bird' and that makes a big difference.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight