Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How many of you have ceiling fans?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Do you have ceiling fans?

Yes & Use
46%
No or Don't use
54%

Total votes : 67

Re: How many of you have ceiling fans?

Postby skthurley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm

we have a ceiling fan and it was only used once.

I freaked on Peter, my husband, about the bird''s safety and it's never been used since.

We have 3 parrots, the parrotlet is flighted, and the conure and senegal are clipped.

We use covered fans if we want to cool the house
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby penelope's person » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 am

There are only two ceiling fans in the house,one of which is in my bird's room. We live on the East coast of Canada, so the fans are only used about 3 days out of the year ;)

It's over 100F here, and where the bird sleeps it's even hotter so I turn it on when she's in the cage and asleep. Even though she's clipped, I wouldn't risk the fans being on when she's awake.

I'm actually more scared of the crazy cats that like to hang around our yard and eat birds. Once I turned my head for seriously, a split second, and the cat came out of nowhere and was ready to pounce on the cage. :shock:
penelope's person
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebird (Seagreen Mutation)
Flight: No

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:23 am

We have ceiling fans in every room, and use them. I live in Australia, there's no other choice.
However they're only on when the birds are in their cage. Is their any other risk?
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Rrrma » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:04 pm

We have ceiling fans in every room and from about April to November they are on. When I had my parakeets I would turn the fan off in the room while they were out for playtime. When I put the girls in the playroom to fly I turn the fan off there, but otherwise they stay on. The girls can fly high enough to be of concern, but they avoid them like the plague. They see this big dark thing in the air and probably 'think' predator, still I turn the one in the flight room off when they are in there.

The other 3 can't gain enough altitude to bother.
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby kellybird » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 pm

I have 5 ceiling fans in my house and use them all in the warm months. The birds are never loose when they are on and even when its feeding time and I open the cage door I make sure I have turned them all off. I am always afraid even for a second they will fly out of the door and fly into the fan. Same goes for making sure all doors are shut and everyone knows when the birds will be out not to open a door, or cook on the stove etc. (I belive someone already mentioned this, but I do the same). I do not have one directly over the birds so I don't worry about drafts.

Oh I forgot who wrote about being scared of being decapitated by a fan and I can relate, I always say, what if the screws loosen and it goes flying off the ceiling or the light fixtures fall off and hit me while I am sleeping. So your not alone lol!
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby HyperD » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:17 pm

kellybird wrote:Oh I forgot who wrote about being scared of being decapitated by a fan and I can relate, I always say, what if the screws loosen and it goes flying off the ceiling or the light fixtures fall off and hit me while I am sleeping. So your not alone lol!

Tell me about it, in Brazil throwing the nephews around I was always scared of that!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Titanius » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Hahaha it was me.. :lol:
You should see the ceiling fans we have at my family's home in Jamaica.. They are the most intimidating things ever. They shake while they're spinning and make funny noises... Which does litlte to instill confidence.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby SlaveToAParrot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 am

My home has like 3 ceiling fans, my bedroom, my parents' bedroom and one in the back kitchen downstairs. We only use the upstairs ones when its really humid. I just keep a door shut to our storage room(which is in the path to my parents' room). That way my Senegal won't get too curious in neither room ontop of avoiding the ceiling fan issue.

I only use mine when its necessary but even I find it useless(just pushes around hot air mostly) so it doesn't get turned on very much. I never have it on when the bird is hanging out with me upstairs though. He had been clipped but can fly again. The ceiling fan downstairs rarely gets turned on, maybe once a year so I don't worry about that one much. I still make sure no one has it on before I take Cody out of his cage though.

I am more concerned about doors and windows in this place opening and closing often. People come and go a lot here so I have to wait a lot for a good time to allow the bird out of his cage and where he can be. Otherwise he just spends his time in my room mostly. :)
Owned by:
Cody the 17-year-old male :senegal: / Birdie the 20-year-old female :greycockatiel:
SlaveToAParrot
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cockatiel

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm more comfortable with my ability to keep a parrot from flying out a window than I am with my ability to always make sure the fan is off, so I don't use a ceiling fan.

A lot of floor fans make me nervous too. I put clear packing tape along the top, to make sure that if they get landed on, feet won't fall through. On the other hand, the birds never land on the fans, maybe they aren't that dumb. Mostly I worry that a spooked bird will land badly.

I like the venturi type fan... the kind that has a cowl around the circumference. There is a lot more covering to prevent a foot slipping through. They can be angled to blow straight UP, so I don't need a ceiling fan. They can blow so hard, I don't think a small parrot would be ABLE to land.
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Blue Crowned Conure

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:12 am

SlaveToAParrot wrote:I only use mine when its necessary but even I find it useless(just pushes around hot air mostly) so it doesn't get turned on very much.

You might find that your ceiling fan is on the wrong setting. Most fans(that aren't too old), have a switch that changes them from a winter to summer setting. One way pushes the air down, the other draws it up.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot