Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

In what order do flight feathers grow again on Green Cheeks?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

In what order do flight feathers grow again on Green Cheeks?

Postby Kiboo » Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm

My name is Marie and I live in Quebec, Canada. I am owned by 2 cutie little green cheek conure parrots.

My one year old drama queen is Kiwi. She is definately the center of attention. We have had her since she was about 5 months old. Her wings were clipped but they are now almost all grown out. I won't be having them clipped again.
My little 3 month old mischiever is Booboo. He has been with us since he was almost 2 months old. His wings are clipped but you would never know it. He gets around the apartment with the greatest of ease. Imagine when his flight feathers grow back in. hahaha

My question is that Kiwi's feathers seem to be mostly grown out. But the first flight feathers (the ones closest to the ouside...two on each side) are not grown out yet. The clipped wing is still there and there aren't many feathers on it. She has 3 blue tail feathers which have fully grown out past the bottom of her back. When I open her wings, I can see that smaller ones are coming out but also the two flight feathers which haven't grown out are still there (the old ones). I thought that the exterior flight feathers were the first ones to grow back in. Am I wrong?

Can someone tell me in what order the flight feathers grow on a green cheek conure?

Thank you.
Marie

Kiwi & Booboo :airmail:
Flying is freedom
for feathered friends.
Marie :)
Kiwi & Booboo
Kiboo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure Parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: In what order do flight feathers grow again on Green Cheeks?

Postby pchela » Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi,

It is my understanding that there is not a particular order in which the flights grow back in. I believe they molt flight feathers symmetrically; the same one from each side at a time. If they lost too many at once they wouldn't be able to fly. I don't know if this helps or not. Sorry! (also I'm no expert so I could be totally wrong)
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Re: In what order do flight feathers grow again on Green Cheeks?

Postby Kiboo » Thu May 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you pchela. They are equal on each side. It's just that the other ones have grown before the first two ones on each side. She flies pretty good just the same.

Flying is freedom
for feathered friends.
Kiwi & Booboo
Kiboo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure Parrots

Return to Indoor Freeflight