Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Free Ranging Parrot

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Free Ranging Parrot

Postby Heidi S » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:59 pm

We've had our African Gray Petra for 20 years and she has always had free range of the house. She has a large cage she naps in and several perches; one she sleeps on at night, one she eats on and a couple just for hanging out on. We have chandeliers and ceiling fans which she deftly flies around. We also have 32 foot ceilings which makes it a great flying space. Lately she's been getting really brave and causing us no end of headaches, chewing up our wooden trim around our doors and floor -- have found that pvc trim is no better -- looking for option 3 -- any suggestions?
P.S. She's also discovered how light switches work, thank goodness for LED lights:-)
Heidi S
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Free Ranging Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

I already replied on your other posting but, my dear, PLEASE be careful with the ceiling fans, never have them on when the bird is out. I know you say that she has learned to avoid them but, as smart as they are, pet parrots and most particularly CAGs are high-strung (captivity causing chronic stress) and startle very easily. All you need is one single split second of a loud noise or a sudden movement for her to fly into a fan and get terribly hurt... We recently had a posting about a bird that ended up dead from the wounds it got from a ceiling fan hitting it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight