Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I think we are officially "flighted"!

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

I think we are officially "flighted"!

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Though Gal still doesn't fly, I can now say that my birds are now "flighted" because they aren't clipped. Archimedes has managed a couple of impressive flights and a few not-so-impressive landings... Galileo has managed a few fumbling flutters. I am working with her though and hopefully she will get there some day.
Yay! :D
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: I think we are officially "flighted"!

Postby bmsweb » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:25 pm

That's great news! You will find as the feathers grow back, they just keep getting better and better at it. :thumbsup:
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby JadeW » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 am

Grats! It's terribly exciting to see and help your little ones learn to fly. I think Cas is getting there too, but in the mean time it's kind of hilarious and so much fun to watch~ :mrgreen:
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Titanius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Its so weird.. I was about to make a topic about my birds starting to become flighted... Get out of my brain , Azure Hanyo!!! jk :lol: Congrats I'm happy for your fids... I felt so proud/excited when I saw my birds starting to fly so I can only imagine.
I noticed a couple clipped feathers in the bottom of the cage. So I can see Jasper becoming fully flighted in a couple weeks. Maybe even less. Diamond is such a better flyer than him. (and she's younger)When she feels the need she'll make a couple laps around the room and come back. Jasper isn't so impulsive. So we'll see! :P
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Mr.Darcy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 pm

15 years ago I had a lovebird. I felt bad that her wings were clipped so we let them grow in. I was quite lucky as she never had a mishap with the windows. My house at the time had the large tall entrance and she would fly in laps around up and down. She would always stop short and land on the window sill.

I am surprised how much bird education there is out there now. at the time I had her we feed her seed mix though she always waundered around the dinner table looking for scraps.

I am leaving my Hahns wings unclipped but I am a bit worried about my entrance again tall windows up high. I am going to get some of the bird decals for the window and hopefully that will work....I have no idea if it will be an issue as my bird is not here yet, just planning ahead.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Archimedes only flies if he wants, and then he will go from his cage to his little play-area gym and then rarely he will come chill out on my shoulder. I love that! :D

Cloudy, my new lovie, is still in quarantine so he hasn't flown much (just twice, both times on accident) and every time he has he wants to go over to Archimedes' cage. :shock:

Gal really hasn't "flown" at all yet...just fluttered. We will work on it more. :thumbsup:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Galileo still doesn't fly. :cry:

This was funny, but today Cloud kind of broke his quarantine, which was almost due to be over anyway. He finally managed to fly to Archimedes' cage, and the two of them stared at eachother for a bit until I got Cloud to come back to me. Then Acrhimedes INSISTED to be out, so I let him, and I introduced him to Cloud on the table-top play area. It was tentative, but they were interested in each other for sure. I kept Cloudy on my hand JUST in case, and Archimedes occupied himself with a raisin, giving Cloud the fish-eye like.... "What're you lookin' at, bub, this MAH raisin!!!".

I wish I'd had my phone on me to get a picture. I will try tomorrow, but they seemed to kind of like eachother!
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Titanius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Awwh. Jasper is still missing a few flight feathers so he can't really change height so well. So don't feel bad I thought he'd be fully flighted by now too.
Diamond gives the "I dare you" look to Jasper when she's getting scratches from me. :? I wish she knew that there's actually enough of me to go around. lol
Titanius
Conure

Postby simka » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Congratulations, Azure! I think I we are flighted too! Kalki (1 yr old Jardine's) had his first flight in which he maintained and increased loft on Friday night! Usually he just glides down to the floor. He fledged before he was clipped by the Bird Man, so he seemed to know what he was doing.

So now what?!

(we just ordered Michael's training stand--I'll be checking out other threads shortly!)
simka
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's poicephalus

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 pm

simka wrote:Congratulations, Azure! I think I we are flighted too! Kalki (1 yr old Jardine's) had his first flight in which he maintained and increased loft on Friday night! Usually he just glides down to the floor. He fledged before he was clipped by the Bird Man, so he seemed to know what he was doing.

So now what?!

(we just ordered Michael's training stand--I'll be checking out other threads shortly!)

Woo!!!! :thumbsup:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Return to Indoor Freeflight