Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shoo, fly!

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Shoo, fly!

Postby Titanius » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Does a strong bond ever work against you when you want your bird(s) flying a little to actually use their muscles? I mean in the real world for people if you don't use it you lose it muscle including. Diamond flys rarely and Jasper as I've come to realize got a really bad pet shop clip. Even now he isn't fully flighted. (so still waiting) But Diamond will stay with me the whole day if she could but when she's out she doesn't like to leave my side or even explore a bit. It's like I want you to have this awesome ability to fly but you rarely use it. Does anyone have a similar experience?
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Shoo, fly!

Postby HyperD » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:24 am

My sennie enjoys being with me but if she wants to go somewhere she will...

Do your birds know they can fly?

Do you take your birds everywhere they want to go?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Titanius » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 am

Hmm thats a hard question. I usually just take them where I am . So in a way yes I kind of do take them where they want to go which is with me. :?
Titanius
Conure

Postby HyperD » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 pm

I mean for example, he is hungry... Will you take him to his cage or will he fly on his own?

Does he have toys? Does he play with them?

How much time is spent in their cage? Is it lietrally just at sleep time and if you happen to go out?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Put the bond and desire to be on you to good use and teach flight recall. Not only does it encourage flight/exercise but it also comes in handy.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Titanius » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm

HyperD wrote:I mean for example, he is hungry... Will you take him to his cage or will he fly on his own?
Does he have toys? Does he play with them?
How much time is spent in their cage? Is it lietrally just at sleep time and if you happen to go out?

Oh if she's hungry I take her back to the cage. Yea we have quiet a few toys in the cage that she plays with. I keep my tiels in the cage until a hour after I get home from school so I can organize myself then I have them around me the whole time I do homework or play with them in my free time. I think I'll have to go with teaching flight recall.

Michael, on a side note, with smaller birds like your budige did Duke pick up target training quickly? I'm guessing it varies though.
Titanius
Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Titanius wrote:Michael, on a side note, with smaller birds like your budige did Duke pick up target training quickly? I'm guessing it varies though.

Duke picked up target training on the first session. Actually smaller birds learn more quickly (in relation to time).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Indoor Freeflight