Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Scarlet's first flight/my first (almost) heart attack

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Scarlet's first flight/my first (almost) heart attack

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 pm

So today Scarlet spent an hour downstairs (which is stressful for her) and was eager to get back to her cage. As I walked into her room she jumped off the perch I was carrying her on and flew to her cage door. She practically gave me a heart attack! I didn't know if she could land and she isn't tame enough for me to check her if she hurt herself. All in all, I am happy she flew, and now reconsidering whether to clip her again or not. I probably will have to until the fosters are gone, but hope is on the horizon!
Ps, I thought she just looked gorgeous doing it too :D
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Re: Scarlet's first flight/my first (almost) heart attack

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 pm

You've been bitten by the flight bug ;) Now buy training perches :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm

don't birds just look fabulous flying?? I miss having a flighted bird in the house :( I can only imagine how a female ekkie would look in flight with their lovely red coloring though! today I was surprised when my gcc was startled and took off as best a clipped bird can do, then turned around about a little less than a foot away to land on my shoulder again! its amazing what a primary or two can do... she would just flap to the floor before. still can't fly any sort of distance... too bad my mom is making me clip her wings again soon =/ oh well, one of these days!
oh, and glad no heart attacks occured! :mrgreen:
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 pm

unfortunately she startled me that one or two obscenities popped out of my mouth, I can just hear her pretty ekkie voice yelling "holy S***!" and "You scared the f*** outta me!" :lol:

I can't wait to get into a bigger, safer house. Ours is simply too small for flighted birds, I may still chance it with her though. She (so far) hasn't realized what her wings can do and (so far) hasn't gone on the attack.

Michael: if we didn't just spend $200 on hubby's ER visit and $500 on his dental work, I probably would! Alas, I have training perch tastes but on a pvc pipe perch budget :lol:
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby Titanius » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Yea my heart thumps when I see Diamond flying. I'm starting to teach her to fly to the cage on command. Instead of going in a straight line she turns and approaches from the left of the cage.I guess for a softer landing? I love having the space for flying. Even in my family's old apartment the ceilings were high and the hallways straight so I've always been rather lucky with being able to keep my birds flighted. *so graceful* :shock:
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm

congrats!! Its fun to see them stretch their wings! :) good luck training (he can probably fly better than you would think.. or longer so be prepared)
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Indoor Freeflight