Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What to do if your bird is lost outside?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: What to do if your bird is lost outside?

Postby FatimaAndCharlie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 pm

my cousins' cockateil flew out and sat on a pine tree in the front yard they tried everything but he didnt comedown. eventually they just gave up after sitting outside for 4 hours
FatimaAndCharlie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby Graybeard » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Our first tiel was found in a neighbor's yard in early 2007 and given to us. It wasn't too long before he found an open window. He flew to the edge of the gumtree grove nearby, and was knocked to the ground by a small hawk or peregrine. We retrieved him unhurt from the bushes.

The next time wasn't so lucky. The family followed him for hours, to half a mile away, where the crows got him.

Mr. Kratchit the cockatiel got away at least four times in five years. Once was upon our arrival in Rockford, Ill, at midnight, where he flew into a nearby tree. I was able to retrieve him at dawn before he climbed high in the tree.

The next time my wife forgot Mr. Kratchit was on her shoulder, and she stepped onto the porch. We retrieved him off a house roof a half mile way. A third time was similar, but he didn't get as far before retrieval.

Then, just two weeks ago, I took him outside in a travel cage for some air and shine. The cage fell, the door popped open, and he was gone in a flash around the side of our house. Before I could even go into action, he came back around the house with a peregrine hot on his tail. He got away from the peregrine, and a few hours later we could hear him forty feet up in a Gum tree, until a crow chased him out of the grove. That's the last we saw him.

Sassy the cockatiel loved to help me on the laptop. As I was carrying a large box outside at a house in Ill, struggling between the door and storm door, Sassy flew 40 feet from across the room, onto my shoulder, then up into a tree, never to be seen again.

OTOH, a neighbor spotted a young male golden mantled rosella in her yard last summer, and called us. We were able to capture him in another neighbor's garage. We had his flight feathers clipped and blood test, but he never got over a fear of us. He just wasn't going to be an out of the cage companion bird, so we gave him to the local Montessori school, where he is doing fine.
Attachments
LP 007w.jpg
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Mar08 001W.jpg
(71 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
HPIM1996W.jpg
(68.02 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
HPIM1816cw.jpg
(71.32 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
HPIM1783W.jpg
(84.75 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Graybeard
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Greybeard: M, CAG b3-09
Chewbaca: F, RB2 b10-10

Postby Tarkus » Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

and the moral to the story would be ? (rhetorical)
that's a awful lot of jailbreaks, don't you think ?

Just say'n

Be Bg,
Alan
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software.We apologize for any errors.
Tarkus
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Catalina Macaw, U2
Flight: Yes

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue May 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Tarkus, :thumbsup:
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Graybeard » Tue May 01, 2012 4:20 pm

That sure is. Won't happen again.
Graybeard
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Greybeard: M, CAG b3-09
Chewbaca: F, RB2 b10-10

Postby marie83 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Because they are now clipped I assume?
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby laducockatiel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:40 pm

marie83 wrote:Because they are now clipped I assume?

Yeah, I guess so, cause it says flight: no, on his profile page. I really hate the idea of clipping birds, my cockatiel is flighted, but I just have to be careful.
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby marie83 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:24 pm

laducockatiel wrote:
marie83 wrote:Because they are now clipped I assume?

Yeah, I guess so, cause it says flight: no, on his profile page. I really hate the idea of clipping birds, my cockatiel is flighted, but I just have to be careful.

Completely agree, never had one escape yet and I've had over 23 flighted birds in 13 years including the finches n stuff we had in an indoor aviary but had free flight in our house when we were in.
Even now I still look for ways to improve security for them incase I ever did have a mad moment.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Maria » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Wow, all this is great information.

I have saved Barb's website information, god forbit my bird is ever lost outside or gets out, etc. Those are great strategies, and things to be aware of. Extremely helpful. Thank you so much for sharing. My parrot is also registered with the AFA, so that is another entity which would be looking all over for him, etc.

Second:
I had no idea that birds eat other birds! So they eat their own kind!? I know it's just certain species of birds eat other birds, but they're still birds, so that's their own kind! This is good to know, which kinds of birds to beware of! I always see lots of flocks of pigeons, crows, black birds, and also large birds with long necks, flying around, and by the ditches, and walking in parking lots, etc., and landing on the high branches of trees.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby Polarn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:03 pm

well yeah birds are birds... but their all different species rather than different breeds as in dogs... so the birds are birds, is basically saying mammals are mammals and therefor a lion eating a zeebra is eating its own kind... Well, this is tru except for one major factor... and that is the similarity between different species of birds... and... the fact that more people can tell a lion and a zeebra apart than lets say a crow and a raven...
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight