Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Attack flights -- help!?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Attack flights -- help!?

Postby lyrebard » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but looking for guidance as I'm at my wit's end and am looking for an alternative to clipping our Senegal's wings.

A little backstory:
About 1.5 years ago, when he was about 1.5, our Senegal was a sweet, happy little guy. But the phobia struck, and he decided that I (but not my husband) was a predator and he went into full prey-mode--every time I approached him, he screamed bloody murder and acted as if I were out to do him in. He'd land on the floor, scuttle as far away from me as he could, and worked himself into tight corners that only my husband could get him out of. We allowed his flight feathers to grow in, providing him with a way back to his cage and something that allowed him to feel safer and as if he had a way to escape.

The free-flight seemed to work, he and I began to make friends again, he loved his new flight abilities, and all was peaceful for a little while. He loves to take laps around the living room, and meet us at the stairs as we go up or come down. But in the process of making up and convincing him that I wasn't a predator, I had to play submissive for a little bit. I think that convinced him he was now the dominant one. Add to that the fact that he loves my husband and we have a problem. Now that he's free-flighted and feels he has a person to defend as his own, he will--unpredictably--fly at me from across the room, or from my husband's shoulder, and attack.

He's also started flying to me, or just stepping up on my finger with no evident malice, and then reaching down and biting--HARD--the finger he's standing on. Biting and clamping so hard that it's really difficult to get him to let go.

This aggression is unacceptable, and I don't know how to train him back to submissive without clipping his wings. I'm pretty familiar with parrots, having worked with them most of my life (working in a bird store, owning budgies and conures), but have never had to deal with anything like this. Any suggestions? Will a temporary clip help restore the balance of power?
lyrebard
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Attack flights -- help!?

Postby liz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:15 pm

I don't know your solution but others in this forum have much more knowledge and I am sure someone will respond soon.

I do know that if you use your other hand on the bird so it can't see it will let go and you can push it off you. If it can fly - it won't fall and get hurt.

Does the bird do this when you are alone with it?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Khaiqha » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 am

Will the parrot still respond to your husband's commands even while it's aggressive with you? When my friends go to pick up Ace, he runs from them, ignoring their calls of up. When I say up though, Ace steps onto their hands, even though I physically didn't do anything. Same holds true for off and stop.

If the bird is still responsive to command, then you might be able to condition it to know that by being nice to you, it pleases him. Try having your husband pet and reward it when it's calm on your hand.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby liz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 am

Temporary clipping will help. It causes insecurity. You can clip the first four feather on each wing but not so close that you rinsk injury. Keep the birds cage no higher than eye level. Wear long sleeves or pants wherever it usually bites. Be defensive and predict it's actions. Do not respond to attachs. Brush it away instead of responding.

My :amazon: Rambo just loves to attack my aunt because she screams for help when he does. Of course being a pedestrian he only comes out near her feet. His favorite attack is to run behind the toilet when he hears her moving, wait for her and come out when she is defensless.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby spiral » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 am

liz wrote:Temporary clipping will help. It causes insecurity. You can clip the first four feather on each wing but not so close that you rinsk injury. Keep the birds cage no higher than eye level. Wear long sleeves or pants wherever it usually bites. Be defensive and predict it's actions. Do not respond to attachs. Brush it away instead of responding.

My :amazon: Rambo just loves to attack my aunt because she screams for help when he does. Of course being a pedestrian he only comes out near her feet. His favorite attack is to run behind the toilet when he hears her moving, wait for her and come out when she is defensless.

Hi LIZ

that attack that you describe reminded me of what a penguin Did in a bird park i went to it was resting on its belly by the penguin SWIMMING pool and when the person with the fish bucket went past it would bite their ankles very suddenly without moving off its belly!

Sorry liz i know thats probably not relevant but i just thought id mention it anyway.

i am woundering if the senegal growls before it attacts? my bird usually does but she can also lunge without warning if frieghtend, although if she does that i assume its my fault not hers, i.e if i move my bad hand in the wrong way due to my disability. ( involuntary movement)
spiral
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Postby liz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 am

I just thought of something. If you think he is defending your husband - your husband has to defend you. He must deflect the attacks or defend you in an attack. He must do the correcting to show the bird that you are important to him and should be important to the bird. After saving you he should hug you in front of the bird.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby rosella » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm

liz wrote:Temporary clipping will help. It causes insecurity. You can clip the first four feather on each wing but not so close that you rinsk injury. Keep the birds cage no higher than eye level. Wear long sleeves or pants wherever it usually bites. Be defensive and predict it's actions. Do not respond to attachs. Brush it away instead of responding.

HAHAHAHA this just gave me a huge laugh lol, i can imagine this crazy parrot hiding behind the toilet until your poor aunt goes to use the bathroom and as soon as she is defensless he comes out flapping and biting loooool this is so funny
rosella
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: gouldian finches

Postby liz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:14 pm

He loves to hear her scream.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby dorp » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

Is that funny or enjoyable to you? Having family and guests screaming because your messed up pet birds?
dorp
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08 am

hello dorp, i do find your posts very entertaining. the bird is encouraged by her screaming, if she stopped screaming the parrot would probably stop his game.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight