Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do your parrots ever crash into you?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Do your parrots ever crash into you?

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Not usually. However, I can sort of tell his aim by the get go... Sometimes he is a little rambunctious with his take off...there is just a sense about it. Once he didn't seem to have a set landing spot... and he went straight for my face...and nipped me rather hard just below my eye before landing hanging onto the front of my shirt. Since then, if I sense something funny about his take off...then I cover my eyes immediately and duck for cover.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:57 am

Myrtle sometimes crashes into me if we both go through a doorway at the same time. She will also crash land on me for the fun of it. She is equal to an ornery two year old child and will grab my hair as she flies over.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:39 am

When Corsair's wings first grew out she would crash into people's chest area-usually mine. I assume it was softer than wall. She would grab clothes before she fell, then climb to a shoulder for another launch. A few days later she was hitting walls, and a few days after that she learned the swoop and stall landing. She never hits anything by accident anymore.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:29 pm

No, never. The mean ones would (in the past, when they first came, they no longer do this) fly out to attack me but it wasn't 'crashing', it was attacking (grabbing whatever they could of my person and biting hard). All of my other birds that fly to me (not all do), perch on my shoulders and a couple like to do it on my head but there is specific purpose and landing, not crashing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby patti » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:18 am

Lily crashed into me once. Really crashed into me. My entire apartment is open - including the second floor. truly the greatest fun for a flighted bird. There is a wall on the first floor holding up the loft of the second floor. that wall creates a hallway in the downstairs that leads outside on one end. The wall also contains a door into the bathroom (which is always closed) and a doorway into the kitchen. Lily likes to do dive-bomb style circles from the living room. She always goes clockwise when she does her circles for some reason.... from the living room, over the partial wall and into the kitchen, and around through that doorway, then back out into the living area.

But this day I happened to be walking into the kitchen (counterclockwise) when she was flying out of it. In a blind spot for her. She didn't see me at all and hit me square in the face. All smooshed into my eye socket, and she really stunned herself. And me too, because she really hit me hard! It was a moment of really excited flying. I was real worried about her given how hard she hit me. thought about putting her in the dark, watching her "like a hawk" and maybe calling the vet. but in less than a minute she was totally fine.
patti
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure, Blue Crown Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Gaugan usually is very adept so doesnt crash into anything but 10 month old Sunny the Meyers was doing a courtship dance on my arm, and Gaugan flew over so fast, she smacked right into my cheek.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby patti » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 pm

If only we got all of these on film, it would make for some great blooper reels.
patti
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure, Blue Crown Conure

Postby kyrubas » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Velli and Dac have a habit of swiftly flying back and forth in the apartment in protest of not getting seed when they demand it. Velli has a very consistent flight path (inches from me while I sit on the couch, then up over the arm of the couch). They were doing this one day and she flew full body into my hand one day, fell a bit, recovered and flew to the cage unperturbed.
kyrubas
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure, Jenday Conure

Postby liz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:44 am

Myrtle is an excellent flyer. She can even fly sideways to get through small spaces. I have even seen her hover like a humming bird. I have seen her stop and turn in mid flight.
She has deliberately started crashing into us. She also grabs our hair as she flies by. Aunt Betty is slow moving or just plain at a stop most of the time. Myrtle considers her a good target. I need to stop it before she makes Aunt Betty crazy.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:16 pm

None of my birds actually crash into me but the senegals have the habit of flying real fast and, when they try to perch on my head, sometimes they miscalculate something (speed? area? slickness of the surface?) and would, sometimes, end up half hanging from my hair -which doesn't faze them at all as they simply climb up to the top or down to my shoulder. Freddy Too is another story because he can't fly at all so his 'trick' is to climb up to the top of the cages (all higher than my eyes) or the platforms (more than 6 ft from the floor) and jump from them to my shoulders, back or chest which might not be a 'true' crash but it certainly feels like it :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight