Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Postby JaydeParrot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 am

You could agree to disagree and get it semi-clipped- Clip off only 4 to 5 primaries, it prevents the bird from flying to the highest cupboards and shelves but still gives it plenty of lift...
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Postby Cockatielsongs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:21 am

I recommend flighted honestly. I love seeing birds fly :D When my cockatiel first flew since he came to me clipped I was seriously so happy I was getting teary eyed :mrgreen: that was ages ago anyways I saw a huge difference, he was so happy and never bit me since really. Im sure you'll be a great parront :) I got my first cockatiel before I turned 12 and Im 13 now and the owner of a cockatoo. Im sure your mature enough to look after a bird :) As long as you know what you're getting yourself into and go through with your parents and make them understand that you will need to take your budgie to the vet. A mistake I made, my cockatiel was terribly sick and my parents thought that he would be fine without a vet visit, it was only until I was in tears did they drive me there partly because I was about walk to the vet myself (I really would of I was desperate, I would have done anything) and partly because they saw exactly how much I loved my tiel and how much it was killing me to see him sick. I gave up my two year savings without hesitation to pay for the vet. So yeah, make sure your parents know about vet expenses. My parents dont know much about birds hardly anything so I raise my birds myself and now I raised a cockatoo on my own. And make sure your mum knows that her cooking stuff and pans etc need to be safe (I launched into a full lecture about that and air fresheners to my mum) theres lots of expenses that your parents need to know and bird proof your house! Sorry if i ranted a little :thumbsup:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight