Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Postby mresmeralda » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi all, i was wondering how do you get somebody to think that it is better to have a unclipped parrot than having a clipped parrot (my dad will buy me a budgie only if its clipped) . Thanks. :danicing:
Cant wait to get parrot!!!!!
mresmeralda
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: How do you get someone to think it is better to not clip?

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

why does he want the bird clipped?i can list benifits of flight for you to show him. flighted means less dependent on you, more confidence in the bird makes it less likely to bite, excercise for the bird,and safety for the bird if other pets or small children in the home. when i first got my greencheek he was clipped and my son was 3 he stepped on his tail and pulled out all his tail feathers luckily they grew back fast and penny has not been on the floor since,his companion in my cousin's home was ripped apart by her dogs because he was clipped which is how i got penny she actually blames penny for chasing the other bird off the perch. hope this helps to convince your father.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby marie83 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:59 am

Ask him how he would like it if you cut off his leg. No seriously dont do that.

I agree with above, make a list of the pros and cons. I bet your list ends up very one sided lol, you could put one or two pro's FOR wing clipping to show him your giving an unbiased opinion, even if you don't think there are any, that way he will be more likely to listen I would think.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am

If your parents are in control of the finances regarding this bird, you should NOT get one right now. What if your parents decide that a constant supply of bird toys is too expensive, or want to buy the cheapest smallest cage? Is it doomed to live like that? Birds are NOT child friendly 'pets'. They are wild animals with specific needs.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 am

To answer the main question, I just show people how I live my flighted parrots and teach them what they need to do to be able to do the same.

However, in your case it's probably best not to get a parrot until you are older and independent. If your parents don't want you to have an unclipped parrot because they don't want a bird flying in the house, it's their call cause it's their house. Wait till you are done with school/college and living on your own and then you can invest in a lifelong flighted companion if you so wish.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby mresmeralda » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

My dad thinks that it will fly away when im training it. He says that it is better to have a good relationship with it before letting it fly, but I dont want to go over the whole "teaching to fly" thing.
Cant wait to get parrot!!!!!
mresmeralda
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:25 pm

parrots mostly want to be where you are.mine stay in the livingroom and mancave they have a regular flight path from playstand to tree.if you want to clip until trained or bonded teaching it how to fly will not be somthing to worry about when flight feathers grow in instinct takes over and the bird should start building wing muscles by flapping while holding cage bars then they try to fly the one thing i would be concerned about are the crash landings that happen when a clipped bird gains flight i have larger birds so they were uninjured i'm not sure how well a smaller bird would do.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Polarn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 am

personally i think it is overall easier to build a good bond with a flighted bird, a lot has to do with the resort it has to fly away, I beleive this "out" prevents a lot of biting that might be experienced during the taming/training process. Also even if a bird is flighted it doesnt really want to spend 12 hours a day flying, and as long as the bird appresiates the training it wont fly off. And once the bird is no longer motivated to train there is no point in continuing, however it is always best to finnish the training before it flies off or get moody or start biting etc etc, just to end it in a positive spirit. Only difference in creating the bond is that you can not force a flighted bird as much, however I dont consider forcing yourself on a bird is the best way to build a good bond.

You will have to push yourself slightly on it in the beginning kind of decreasing it boundaries to where it at first accept you within its "zone" and later on wants you in it. pushing too much tho might couse a bird to turn on you instead or accepting you in its personal space but never want you there...
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 am

i hope you don't think i was encouraging clipping. my personal opinion is it's mutilation.when mine came to me they were clipped not my choice.i've seen it both ways and a flighted bird is easier,happier,and healthier my vet said he wished all his patients were like mine.my birds are out of their cages 12hoursa day,i'm a stay at home mom,only about 2 hours through the day is spent flying the rest of the day is playing,cuddling,eating,and being nosy watching the kids play or looking out the window.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Polarn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 am

nah I wasnt reading your post as am encouragement to clipping, more an explanation to mresmeralda why I consider it better to tame a flighted bird, especially as an unexperienced birdowner or a kid, whom reading the birds bodylanguage is even harder. Then you kind of need that flighted resort of saying no rather than it having to go so far as to biting when it doesnt want to be part of it anymore. Neither flying away or biting is a good end result of a training session, however I rather have my bird flying away when wanting to be left alone than biting me to make me leave it alone...

And i am terribly sorry if you read my message directed at you, was by no means ment in that way.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight