Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chasing molted feathers...

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Chasing molted feathers...

Postby kittyhazelton » Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm

well, Chica's going through her spring molt...
When she came to me she had all but 3 of her primary flight feathers clipped (I want to say a total of 7 or 8 each wing), through training and a little work with the help of her winter molt she was well conditioned again and started gaining confidence control of flight after regrowing 3 more flight feathers on each wing (total of 6 each wing)...
After her recent molt, guess which feathers came out? yep, the three "old" flight feathers she had when she came to me... she's back to the less controlled horizontal flights (but with added strength from the few weeks of not-so-hampered flight I've been doing with her)... fortunately more of the clipped feathers also came out, seeing the "stubs" of 4 feathers on each wing starting to poke out now (with more hopefully along the way) so hoping it's not too long before we're back to where were were in her training progress. Of course since she doesn't have much lift right now she's very resistant about taking flight so we're doing our basic target & prop training again.
I can't wait till this bird has a full set of wings, I know she's been enjoying the little bit of flying that she's been able to do so far. Ugh, I just cannot imagine having a clipped bird ever again, it's such a hassle.
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight