Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Newly Flighted

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

The Newly Flighted

Postby Zazu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 am

Hi all!

I have a Green Cheek Conure who came to me clipped. While he was still unable to fly, we strengthened our bond/trust and he learned basic commands and tricks.

Well his flight feathers have finally grown in (quite beautiful I might add)… but here lies my problem. He has always been a bit scared of noises--- and now any time there is ANY noise he gets scared and starts flying circles in the room. It seems like he can’t figure out where to land… keeps going and going. I try to put out a hand for him…. But he only sometimes will land on it. Usually he will find some random object in the room. When he does finally land, he appears to be VERY out of breath. I’m worried about him! He’s obviously not that strong enough to fly so much yet since he hasn’t been able to…

I am been trying to recall train him and train him to go to his perch. So far no luck with flying to me, but I can get him to fly straight to his perch if we are in a ‘training session”.

I really appreciate you reading and any advice you can give me! Just want what's best for him :) :gcc:
Zazu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: The Newly Flighted

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am

my :gcc: does this all the time sometimes for no reason at all he sounds normal he may just not be used to the excersise. penny was clipped when he came to me,i don't know anyone could cut off those beautiful flight feathers,he did the same now he's fine.he'll get used to the noises too.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Re: The Newly Flighted

Postby marie83 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:59 pm

He is just inexperienced at flying and picking places to land on, I think conures will just take off and fly a few laps anyway, Ollie frequently does and his breeder warned me about UBEs as he called them (unidentified bird emergency) lol.
He will come to learn where is best to land with practice, he just takes so long to settle because he is trying to weigh up where the safest places are and how to do it well. He will learn.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Indoor Freeflight