Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Postby liz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am

Bring something to your neighbor such as yard flowers or something you found on sale that he would want. It should get you in the door. If not you can at least listen.

Worst comes to worst go over and tell him that another neighbor thinks he managed to catch your bird as if it just happened.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Karma » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 am

As many of you know, we lost our African Grey about 2 weeks ago. There is an ad in a local newspaper for an African Grey for sale. We had a friend call the number and ask questions. The lady could not give a straight answer about how and when she acquired the parrot and generally sounded very suspicious. She would not give her address for this person to come look at the Grey. [Nothing was mentioned about our lost parrot]. Now we can not get the lady to answer the phone or return any calls.

She has multiple listings in the same newspaper selling a wide variety of miscellaneous items, such as wood burning stove, tool box for a truck, and building materials.

She is located about 30 miles from where our baby flew. Her number is 501-581-9673

What would you do? The police will not get involved.

We have a new Facebook page for Suzie at https://www.facebook.com/BringSuzieHome Please "like" our page and feel free to post comments or your stories for others to see! https://www.facebook.com/BringSuzieHome

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw; Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby liz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't know what is wrong with your police. The grey is your property.

Why haven't you gone? I would make them produce the grey or call the police on you. It works both ways.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Maria » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Yes, even with a clipped bird, the wind can catch under their wings and take them away, giving them some flight. They can't fly for long though, being clipped, not as long as if they were not clipped. But they will be carried a bit of distance.

Yes, not without a cage or harnass protection. Too many things can happen otherwise.

And birds spook easy, and sometimes things can spook/scare them outdoors that they're not use to, being most of the time indoors. When this happens, they can take off flying. So, if an owner hasn't gotten their bird use to the surroundings around where they live outdoors, and use to outdoor sounds - first, this can happen more readily as well.

I'm so sorry for you loss. Do try and find her/him. As it says at Barbara Heidenreich's website, for Strategies to Utilize when a Flighted Parrot Escapes at this link: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/help-escape.html

Of which also are very important, that she also lists to do:

• Contact the following people and let them know you are looking for your bird. If a person finds your bird they may contact one of these organizations.
o Call animal control
o Call the SPCA/humane society
o Call local veterinarians
o Call local zoos
o Call local pet shops
o Call local police

For my parrot, if this ever happened, I would also contact the AFA, where he is registered. They would also be looking for him.

Also do take advantage of that Barb's website even includes flyers with pictures of common species so that you can quickly print them and start circulating them in your neighborhood. Download them, fill them out for your parrot, and print them out and pass/circulate them out. You can additionally email them out as well. They open up in MicroSoft Word, you can also just replace the pictures on them with a pictures of your own parrot.

African Grey Parrot #1
African Grey Parrot #2

are both on her list - at this link: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/help-lostbirdflyers.html
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby Maria » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Karma wrote:What would you do if you think someone in your neighborhood had your parrot? We have been hearing our lost African Grey's "beep", "beep" over the last hour or so. another neighbor is confirming what we are hearing. While we were outside listening and close to a house 2 doors down from us, our neighbor opened his front door and the "beep" "beep" got very audible, coming from inside of his house. We asked if he had a parrot and he said no. We don't want to start trouble but what should we do?

OH MY GOD! THANK GOD! This means you very well may be close to recovering her, and that she hopefully is safe meaning "indoors", away from outside elements which could be of harm to her, (other animals of prey, cars, lack of survival skills to find food, as all indoor birds would generally know if mommy brings my food to me in a bowl.)

If I were in this situation, I would IMMEDIATELY get with the police, requesting they investigate this neighbor for your parrot. Explaining this. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think you've been learning alot from this. No more getting down on yourself. I know it saddens and worries you so much. I would also be beside myself if I lost my parrot, or if he got stolen, or flew off; I would be worried sick for his safety. They almost become like your child. Just know that in the future, there are certain parrot proofs and precautions you need to take, if you're going to have a flighted bird, and take those steps and prepare. Like be careful when opening doors cause they could fly out too, etc. And under no circumstances, never, EVER take them outside without the safety measures of either harnass trained or travel cage.

I'm not sure if the police calling the bird's name would get an answer. Sometimes parrots & birds will not answer to a stranger's voice. Sometimes they might too. I would think you have rights and enough information, under suspicion, to have the neighbor investigated. Just like investigators and police can knock on people's doors asking questions when they're investigating something, I don't see why they're giving this response. You might try nicely asking them again for this kind of help, and furthermore, then also asking them what else would they suggest you do to get "more evidence" if they don't help you in this way? Or ask them how could you go about getting more information to confirm that your neighbor has your bird? I would think you have rights regarding help with searching this from authorities, if you're the bird's owner. You've reported it lost/stolen, and it does not seem right that they won't help you like that further. Aren't they suppose to help you find it? Then what are they doing to help you find it? You've brought them even more information to help the case. Then what the heck did you report it lost or stolen for?! For them to just shew you away like that? Oh, I would definately go back to them questioning about this. Do they require a search warrant? What's the deal? I bet if the police knocked on their door, telling them they're investigating about a lost parrot, and that it's been reported that people have heard these noises the parrot is making from around outside the home, recognizable, and that therefore, and that the owner asked if they had a parrot and you said no, but then these noises were still heard, so that it's their job to inquire - I bet those people would be pooping bricks so afraid, that they might confess at that moment. You never know. With a surprise visit from a police officer? That would also give the time for the police officer to be listening into their house, through their open door, while he's talking to them, for parrot noises.

I think it's wonderful how the news channel is helping you. That brings such warmth to my heart.

You are so on the right track. Keep doing all you can do. Word is all over the place, I will be praying your baby come home!

Not so sure bringing something you think the neighbor would want or like to their door would work. The neighbor has also got to know the word is out all over the place about you trying to recover your lost parrot, and you've already asked them if they have a parrot. So they're probably trying to hide the fact if they are indeed parrot napping. They may look through the peep hole through their door, and if they know it's you, they may not open the door, even, therefore.

But one thing I did think about was to try talking to them nicely, about how your heart broken about the loss of your parrot, and that other neighbors in the area, as well as yourself, have heard these noises which sound like your parrot, coming from their home. Talk with them about parrot behavior once they're bonded to their person/owner, and that parrots who are bonded, have died due to loss of their owners at times, that unlike cats/dogs, their emotions are so sensitive to that kind of thing, that alot of times they don't survive it, and die in a few weeks from it, etc. In other words, pleading with them, talking with your heart, getting to their heart, asking for them to please give your parrot back if they have it, and to be honest, and that you're worried sick. You never know, that may also just work too. And sometimes you do get more bees with honey.

The person who's running ad in paper for african grey for sale, does sound very suspicious. Most people want to know background about parrots they purchase, etc. And especially if the person does not want to give the address for someone who's interested in purchasing the bird, to come look at it. That's wierd.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Maria » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm

liz wrote:I don't know what is wrong with your police. The grey is your property.

Why haven't you gone? I would make them produce the grey or call the police on you. It works both ways.

:swaying: Agreed, Liz.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Rebellious » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Oh my gosh, that parrot is rightfully yours, you have rights to get out there and get your bird back.
:senegal: Sissy
:senegal: Sammi
:cockatoo: Rebel
Rebellious
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots, Sulfur Crested cockatoo

Postby Hellsfairy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:28 am

I know this is a few years late! But I hope the person in question got their bird back - I have to say I was shocked at the tone of some of the responses on here....That poor lady was in enough distress after all. Telling her what she should have done was of no help whatsoever at the time, she was already beating herself up about it. Please have some compassion....
Hellsfairy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am

The reason for what you said were not compassionate postings was that she said the cause of her bird getting lost was the fact that she had not clipped her bird -which was still a baby at 14 weeks of age. People simply explained that this was not the problem, that the problem was that she took a baby out, at night, without a harness. Clipping a bird is bad enough but clipping a baby and not allowing it to fledge properly has physical negative consequences that the bird will have to live with for the rest of its life so it's worse. A posting and its replies are not only for the OP's benefit, it's for anybody else who is reading so clarifying a wrong assumption that will harm birds is essential.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Victor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Pajarita wrote:The reason for what you said were not compassionate postings was that she said the cause of her bird getting lost was the fact that she had not clipped her bird -which was still a baby at 14 weeks of age. People simply explained that this was not the problem, that the problem was that she took a baby out, at night, without a harness. Clipping a bird is bad enough but clipping a baby and not allowing it to fledge properly has physical negative consequences that the bird will have to live with for the rest of its life so it's worse. A posting and its replies are not only for the OP's benefit, it's for anybody else who is reading so clarifying a wrong assumption that will harm birds is essential.

Where do you get clipping a baby birds wings is going to harm it physically or mentally?
Forgive me but am not buying this just because I see it on a parrot forum. I need more prof then that!
Victor
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African gray and Cockatiel.

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight