Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Advice on Flighted Bird

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Advice on Flighted Bird

Postby Zazu » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:53 am

Hi all!

Having some trouble with my Green Cheek.

We recently moved, a big long chaotic horrible one. My bird had to be kept at a friends house for a week as we got the new house bird proof and livable.

When I brought him home, the first night we was soo happy. He came out as normal on my finger, stayed there and got loved for awhile. Seemed happy- and then went back in. Nothing strange

The next day when I went to take him out--- he FLEW out of the cage. Went in a circle and landed on perch. WHen I went to go have him step up, he flew in circles and landed on perch. Any time I moved my hand near him to get him---fly in circles.

I was hoping it was maybe just the new environment so I've let it continue for about a week now, but everyday it's the same thing. Won't get near my hand. THe only way I can even get him back in the cage is to put my hand over the perch, kind of tricking him. And if he realizes it- he'll come land ON my head! When I put my hand up to get him--again fly in circles and land on perch.

Obviously I want to reverse this behavior-- but I really want advice on how to make sure that I'm not rewarding the behavior. I work in a local petstore and everyone there told me I should clip him because "he has the power over you of flight"--but I really don't want to do this because of the possible damage to him. I've always believed birds should be free flighted.

I've tried to open the cage just enough so that he HAS to come on me to get out, but as soon as I pull him out on my hand- fly away again.

So how can I reverse this without rewarding it? For instance, if he flies around, should I stop trying as to not play into the games? Or should I keep trying to get him to step up and slowly work up his comfortablility again? I hate this because it's making his time out of the cage lessened because I don't know what to do with him--but obviously he needs time out of the cage.

Thanks so much for any advice. Hopefully I can fix this quick!
Zazu
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Advice on Flighted Bird

Postby marie83 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 am

I agree, don't clip.

I reckon he is just adapting to his new life. Start step up training from the beginning, show him his favorite treat whilst he he sat on the perch and let him have it every time he doesn't fly off. When he will sit still long enough you can start luring him onto your hand. Also make going back into his cage a rewarding experience so he doesn't use his flight to avoid going back in, practice putting him away, rewarding him, then letting him straight back out again so he knows he isn't going to get locked in for ages every single time.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 am

Leave his cage door open and let him investigate his new home. Only feed him in his cage since that is the one thing still the same. I would not even try to get him until he is satisfied with his new home.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Polarn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 am

My amazon did this when I did a short move (I moved everythign into another room because it was bigger and that would allow em some more space to fly) everything he had learnt were still accessible and we could do our trainingsessions, but recall or step up was just to foget, if I walked up to him and asked him to step up he would fly off, if I wanlked up to him asking him to shaking my hand, he would gladly do so.. It took me about 5 or 6 weeks to finally get him to step on my hand by trying to throw in a step up command every now and then during the trainingsessions, during this time I was extremely happy I had thought him to target. this way I could use the targetstick to move him wherever I needed him to go except for onto myself.

Oh yeah forgot to say but,
I am definitly not a fan of wingclipping and any time someone has told me I need to clip my birds I've felt an urge to grab a baseballbat and smack em hard on their legs forcing them to crawl for some time...

..Besides I am not all that convinced birds are driven by domination...
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby marie83 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:43 am

Polarn wrote:Oh yeah forgot to say but,
I am definitly not a fan of wingclipping and any time someone has told me I need to clip my birds I've felt an urge to grab a baseballbat and smack em hard on their legs forcing them to crawl for some time...

..Besides I am not all that convinced birds are driven by domination...

My feelings exactly although I do believe pet birds should comply with basic commands, if only for their own safety, I don't believe dominance is the way to go about it.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Polarn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am

ofcourse I do agree with training birds and think its fun, not only todo it myself but to look at others what they have aschived etcetera, but as you said dominance isnt really the way todo it. And even dogs who are known for having packleaders etcetera, you can't really force a dog to be cuddly, you can however force a dog into not biting you as YOU cuddle it, but thats not the same thing.
Polarn
Amazon

Postby Zazu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for all your replies.

It makes me feel much better that others have done it also! And that it was able to be fixed...

What do you guys think about the reinforcing it though?

For instance, my boyfriend says that if he flies away even once we should put him away to teach him that he doesn't get play time if he flies away. I don't really like the idea because I feel like he would never be out anymore.

Also, while he is out, should I keep trying? Like I go up, try to get him to step up- and he flies off. Should I try again? Or is it reinforcing the behavior perhaps as if its a game for him?

What would you do? Let him fly out of the cage and then just hang out and around? Or would you not let him out without stepping on your finger? Or would you keep trying to get him while he is out?

Thanks so much! I really just don't want to reinforce it, but I also want to work toward fixing the behavior.
Zazu
Parakeet

Postby liz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Let him fly. When he gets tired enough he won't be able to get altitude and will land. That is when you offer your finger for help.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Polarn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I wouldn't give him time out in the cage for not stepping up since punnishments doesn't really work well with birds. And I would probably ignore the standard step up as for now and work on a lot of targettraining if this is something he responds to without flying away. You can then target him onto your hand and off again and just keep doing that until your hand is once again a confiteble place to be. Also the targeting will get you means to move the bird where you want it and in or out of the cage without him having to step up. I basically tries to never force my birds, and I try to only do training they respond well too wich means when he didnt want to step up or recall I used the target stick to move him and did any hands off training I could before he once again felt confiteble stepping up without being targeted. But I didn't even try asking for a step up until he walked right onto my hand without any hesitation when targeted onto it.
Polarn
Amazon

Postby Zazu » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks for the advice! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunetely neither worked though :( If I just let him fly, he'll land on the perch consistently.

I tried to do some target training also, however that was pretty much just as bad my finger. If I put the target close to him, he flies away. If I put it far away, he simply stands perfectly still. If I put it in the middle, he leans away. I was actually pretty shocked the first time I tried it--before he LOVED training sessions. He was flawless as targeting, wave, shake, and bat. But he has no interest now. So I tried to just give him a treat today- maybe just to increase bonding or trust. Interestingly, he won't even take treats. When he did allow my hand near to him with a treat, he wouldn't take it- over and over. Finally one time he did take it- but just held it instead of eating.

But hey, I'll take what I can get- just accepting the treat in this case was a success. :)

I guess I'll just have to work extremely slowly, back to the beginning.

Thanks for all your advice both of you! I really appreciate it- if you can think of any other ideas I would love to hear them. Meanwhile, I'll just be slowly working here :) :gcc:
Zazu
Parakeet

Return to Indoor Freeflight