Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tiki is happier flighted

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Tiki is happier flighted

Postby charlieandkiwi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 am

So heartwarming! I had the same experience with my white-eared conure, although it took me a little longer to figure out that I shouldn't be clipping his wings.Where I live, the bird community is still really big on wing clipping, but I know the difference it made for Charlie. He definitely became less aggressive and more confident. Definitely more confident. It was almost like watching a little kid grow into an adult overnight.

Before he could fly, he was very needy, always begging for something, often looked stressed out, and didn't entertain himself well. Now, he plays with toys, explores new areas of the house "on his own" (we watch him if it's an area we might step on him or there's something dangerous, although honestly he spends a lot of time hiding in our junk in the closet. He loves scream/laughing and wood-bopping for hours into the nooks and crannies), and is allowed to fly onto whoever he wants whenever. He's the most easy-going, well-adjusted parrot I've ever met and that all happened when the wings were allowed to grow out.
charlieandkiwi
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: I have a 4-5 year old green cheeked conure and an 8 year old white eared conure.
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight