Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Clipped vs. Flighted

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Clipped vs. Flighted

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 pm

I would not clip your bird wings, the cats are a big reason, however they are not my only reason and therefore I do not believe in clipping a birds wings unless there is a valid medical reason for doing it.
As for the bird flying into mirrors and/ or windows, your bird will quickly learn where they are and avoid flying into them. Now you do have a cockatiel and they are a bit more prone to panic attacks than any of the parrots that I have and for this reason I would consider putting up some sheers on the windows. I would also place several items in front of the mirrors, if possible, so the bird can recognize that there is a mirror there, of course sheers would also work, but so would a couple of perches or ropes (sisal, would be my rope of choice).
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Clipped vs. Flighted

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:55 am

Definitely do NOT clip your bird. It's unhealthy, dangerous, unnecessary and downright cruel. He will learn to avoid glasses but, like Wolf said, putting something on or in front of them helps a lot (decals, sun catchers, curtains, ropes, perches, etc) until they learn.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight