Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How often do you train your parrot a day?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

How often do you train your parrot a day?

Postby frozengirl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 am

Just curious how often does Michael train kill every day?
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: How often do you train your parrot a day?

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 am

1-2 times when actively training but more like once a day 4 days a week for 30mins each when just coasting through the year.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby frozengirl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks Michael! I only train my tiel once a day, and feel like I should do all the tricks she knows a few times, which I then find out it's hard to teach her new things lol.
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm

My dear, you have a baby [almost juvenile] aviary species parrot while Michael has adult companion parrots that have been training for years... you really cannot compare the two situations.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 pm

frozengirl wrote:Thanks Michael! I only train my tiel once a day, and feel like I should do all the tricks she knows a few times, which I then find out it's hard to teach her new things lol.

That sounds fine. I suggest doing training 5-10 minutes 1-2x times per day 5-6 days a week. Avoid doing too much and even if you get so into training that you are doing it all the time, take a skip day to break things up for you and the bird. The key is to do a little bit well but every day indefinitely (with the breaks I mentioned) and over the course of weeks, months, and years you'll be amazed how far you've come.

It's not a must to practice all tricks. You need to for the first month or two so it becomes long term memory but then they remember for a really long time. There's been times I haven't done a certain trick for years with Kili and then try and she either remembers right away or it comes back after a brief reminder!
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby frozengirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 am

Pajarita wrote:My dear, you have a baby [almost juvenile] aviary species parrot while Michael has adult companion parrots that have been training for years... you really cannot compare the two situations.

Well she enjoys the training! If she didn't she would just fly away . If she looks uninterested I stop. But she loves her millet :) as soon as I say training time, her eyes light up and she flies to me :D
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Postby frozengirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 am

Michael wrote:
frozengirl wrote:Thanks Michael! I only train my tiel once a day, and feel like I should do all the tricks she knows a few times, which I then find out it's hard to teach her new things lol.

That sounds fine. I suggest doing training 5-10 minutes 1-2x times per day 5-6 days a week. Avoid doing too much and even if you get so into training that you are doing it all the time, take a skip day to break things up for you and the bird. The key is to do a little bit well but every day indefinitely (with the breaks I mentioned) and over the course of weeks, months, and years you'll be amazed how far you've come.

It's not a must to practice all tricks. You need to for the first month or two so it becomes long term memory but then they remember for a really long time. There's been times I haven't done a certain trick for years with Kili and then try and she either remembers right away or it comes back after a brief reminder!

Thanks for the response! I taught her a lot already :D

Turn
Put head in harness
Wings
Fly to me
Fetch
Handshake
Wave
Target stick

She only does these tricks if she wants something, lol. ( millet or a toy )
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm

SEVEN MORNINGS A WEEK, wee, for the last last 5years. They do tricks for the first half of their daily breakfast which are two almonds or walnut quarters crushed to bits. Perch tricks, ten flying laps, table top trick of the day. Then they freely eat the second half of breakfast. Fruits and vegetables. Its about a half hour trick routine. Then theyre free to roam.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Return to Parrot Trick Training