Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training my parrot Margie to "step up"

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Training my parrot Margie to "step up"

Postby Desma » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I have had Margie for a month now. I have been very patient with her and not forcing the issues. I spoil her with treats and give her lots of attention. I can't get her to sit on my hand or finger. When I put my finger out, she will take it with her right foot. She is missing claws on two of her toes. The owner does not think it was an accident when she was a baby because there was no blood or injury. It just may be a tiny birth thingy. I don't mind that, I know she will have issues of holding on at times. She makes a very agitated noise like a chattering monkey when I try to get her to step up. She is a blue front Amazon, a juvenile. One thing I have gotten her used to, when she grabs my finger with her right foot, I have gotten her used to playing a game called "this little piggy". She seems to not mind it at all. I do have to use one of the toes twice because she has only four, "this little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home, this little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none and so on. I use my other hand when I grab her toes to play piggy with and then I am able to hold her easily at the end with both hands if I so decide. Do I just continue to keep doing this day after day until she gets on my finger or hand?
Desma
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue front Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Training my parrot Margie to "step up"

Postby liz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:06 am

A month is not enough time for her to want to step up.

This little piggy will have to do until she makes a move to you. Little piggy is a good idea though.

I was so dumb when I go Myrtle that when she put her foot up to tell me to back off I thought she wanted me to touch her foot. We played tickle tickle for many months. She did not come to me on her own until she grew her wings back.

She lands on my shoulder even now and asks for tickles.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Training my parrot Margie to "step up"

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 am

Liz is correct, a month might not be enough time for her to trust you 100% yet. I'll be honest with you, I've never had to teach a bird to step up because I never ask a bird to do anything it doesn't want to do. The truth is that once they feel comfortable enough, they do it on their own and . The hard part is getting them off me when I need them to :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Trick Training