Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fetch training

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Re: Fetch training

Postby marie83 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

Ok well we had session 4 a couple of days ago but I quit pretty quickily as all Ollie wanted to do was throw the rings everywhere, even when the bowl was right in front of him he was determined to throw it to either side.

Session 5 happened that evening, thankfully with more success, he did so well at one stage I really thought he had got it so I ended the session in order to leave it on a positive note.

Session 6 happened yesterday. He started off with the first few commands really well, after that he seemed to be getting more enjoyment from watching them hit the floor. I do actually think he is aware of how its supposed to be done, if he misses the bowl he tries to pull the bowl out my hands, he also seems to look very carefully to see where it landed. Session 6 should have been high motivation as it was about an hour before feeding.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby InTheAir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey Marie,

I don't know if this is actually helpful, but when Nila doesn't seem to be picking up a trick I give him a couple days off from that trick.
We didn't have to do this with fetch, but I wanted him to put a ring over the end of his training perch and it was pretty hit and miss. You could see he didn't even understand the concept when he got it right, and was eating his treat. After a break from it something clicked the next time we tried, you could see him go "oh, is that what you meant, i get it".
Nila is really easy to read and you can see when he is grasping a new concept. I also use "goodboy" when I see him leaning towards doing the new trick... Um I'm unsure as to how word that so I'll try an example... I say 'fetch', he looks at the container but seems unsure, I praise him lightly, he waddles over to container and drops his toy in it, he gets enthusiastic praise and a treat. I've never had a bird before so I'm unsure as to whether it is just Nila who responds well to this...

Claire
InTheAir
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby cml » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:59 pm

We are seeing some progress here, I think Leroy might be catching on to what I want. During today's session he repeatedly put the coin in the bowl, only missing occaisonally.
How's Ollie doing?
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby marie83 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Excellent, glad to hear it :D
I've had a few days break with Ollie, he was just getting silly with it and throwing the objects around all over the place, not sure why as he seemed to be clicking on.

I've gone back to some of his other tricks during this break to keep them fresh and started working on touch taming Harlie as finally she seems ready. I'll update the fetch training later this coming week as I'm planning to start again tomorrow or tuesday.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Previous

Return to Parrot Trick Training