Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

does trick training help with....

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

does trick training help with....

Postby feathermum » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 pm

does trick training help w/ behaviors? does it help more if the parrot is fully flighted to learn? here's why i'm asking, i am starting to see some behaviors that i don't want to encorage. and i want to have all my birds flighted, but there are sopme iussues w/ that. 1. ppl i work for, & w/ are agienst letting birds being fully flighted unless they'r compleatly trained.,howdo you train them if they don't have full flight?? should i train them a wait or stay command? and my other question is for ppl w/ younger children & parrots... how do you get your kids involved in the training, and for ones that don't want to be involved how do u handle that? i started off on the wrong foot, i see that & want to correct the wrongs. i do like some of the ways i have learned & have instilled in my house hold. however others like free flight & trick training are ones i want to learn to use & mabey be able to show others that it's a good thing to leave ur birds flighted.
i have mostly conures, but 2 of them are young and i think it'll work. i know it takes time & dedication, which i have no problem with & belive it's a given when u get a parrot.

ok i know that's kindda a lot and sorry bout that, but it was all in my head @ once! around me personally,noone agrees w/ free/full flight,or knows much about trick training. they just concentrate more on hand tameness....
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Re: does trick training help with....

Postby Michael » Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 pm

feathermum wrote:does trick training help w/ behaviors? does it help more if the parrot is fully flighted to learn?

Yes and yes.

feathermum wrote:here's why i'm asking, i am starting to see some behaviors that i don't want to encorage. and i want to have all my birds flighted, but there are sopme iussues w/ that. 1. ppl i work for, & w/ are agienst letting birds being fully flighted unless they'r compleatly trained.,howdo you train them if they don't have full flight?? should i train them a wait or stay command? and my

This doesn't make sense. I don't understand your point.

feathermum wrote:other question is for ppl w/ younger children & parrots... how do you get your kids involved in the training, and for ones that don't want to be involved how do u handle that? i started off on the wrong foot, i see that & want to correct the wrongs. i do like some of the ways i have learned & have instilled in my house hold.

Everyone in a household with a parrot becomes a participant whether they like it or not. The parrot screaming or biting them affects them no doubt. So developing good relationships preemptively and getting everyone to share in the pleasure and responsibility ensures that the bird and people are better off. http://TrainedParrot.com/Socialization for techniques on introducing people. I usually just hold my parrot and its beak and let kids pet it. They enjoy that. They also love seeing the tricks they can do.

feathermum wrote:noone agrees w/ free/full flight,or knows much about trick training. they just concentrate more on hand tameness....

You can't excel at tameness without understanding trick training and free flight.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Eric&Rebecca » Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 am

Michael is correct the process of all training relies on basic methods which are used to implement flight training and hand tameness, these have to be mastered first before any training or taming can begin. Also clipping the birds wings won't make the process any easier, you have to start everything right from the beginning before they come out the cage.
Eric&Rebecca
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Cockatiel
Spectacled Parrotlet

Postby feathermum » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 am

ok that part does sound a bit weird...what i was trying to ask was, is the first part of training (after step-up, along w/ basic hand tame) stay or a wait command? do you use it? it would make sence,b/c if they can fly & u want them to stay where they are, or if there is a danger. so is that where i should start? before getting into tricks? how do any of you use this type of comand? ty for the other answers :D !! i plan to start this right away!! am now letting my nanday grow his flights out, he was recently flighted( though not for too long ) but was told he should be clipped b/c of his age, & to train him better. still waiting for my F jenday (rescue) to grow her wings, as she was plucked when i got her, but they are comming in nicely now :D my other rescue, a f eckie, is growing her flights out, and my baby jenday was full flighted then just clipped,grrrrrr again b/c everyone around me in the bird world does not agree w/ unclipped :( however after being on here, and reading about personal stories of flighted birds, along w/ other research i am doing, i truly feel this is a very posiable thing. and the best way to have & live w/ parrots.
feathermum
Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am

feathermum wrote:ok that part does sound a bit weird...what i was trying to ask was, is the first part of training (after step-up, along w/ basic hand tame) stay or a wait command? do you use it?

No. There's no such thing. The only way you teach your parrot to stay is indirectly by teaching it to come. Then it learns to be patient and wait to be called to fly to you because if it comes too soon, it won't get rewarded.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pricey_boy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 am

if you feel that your bird should be flighted do not let people tell you otherwise. being flighted helps alot, in the wild if you scared a parrot would it come bite you no? it would just fly off. my lorikeets fly's away from me when he gets board and will find something better rather then get frustrated and bite.

teaching tricks to your parrot isn't about showing your parrot its about building trust. and being comfortable in unnatural situations. trust me let your bird fly they get so much exitement just from a short flight
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby feathermum » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:51 am

Pricey_boy wrote:if you feel that your bird should be flighted do not let people tell you otherwise. being flighted helps alot, in the wild if you scared a parrot would it come bite you no? it would just fly off. my lorikeets fly's away from me when he gets board and will find something better rather then get frustrated and bite.

teaching tricks to your parrot isn't about showing your parrot its about building trust. and being comfortable in unnatural situations. trust me let your bird fly they get so much exitement just from a short flight

hi, yes I understand this now, and I am working w/ all my parrots that are @ home. I will NEVER again let someone tell me that it is cruel to have your bird flighted. infact my nanday has almost all his flight feathers grown back & is flying well :D my rescue Jenday didn't have any when I got her & she has just glided for the 1st time :danicing: I am SOOO excited about this!! & for this site! still working on the training, but I didn't expect it to happen over nite. But I do see the point now :thumbsup:
feathermum
Cockatiel

Return to Parrot Trick Training