Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wave...ALL the time.

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Wave...ALL the time.

Postby KimberlyAnn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 am

I've been teaching Emmi to wave. I've been careful to use the clicker right when she waves so she can get a treat. I only have her wave with her left foot. Tonight, we did training for about ten minutes and she did great! The rest of the evening, she would not put her left foot down. She would come up to me and wave. Someone would move and she would run to them and wave. I ask her to step up and she would and then wave. She just stands there and catches someone's eye....then wave.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with her foot. It didn't happen until after training and only when she knows we are paying attention. But she won't stop waving. Is this normal? Lol She obviously gets it that she gets a treat when she does it, but I have not given her any unless I ask her to wave.
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Wave...ALL the time.

Postby janetafloat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am

Haha, Alfie would wave all the time when I first taught him that trick, it's a case of 'hope springs eternal' I think :lol:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby KimberlyAnn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 am

Lol I figured! At one point she just stood there with her foot up by her head just blinking at me waiting for a treat.
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby janetafloat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Cute :lol:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby KimberlyAnn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 pm

I didn't train with her until later, but as soon as I got home and went to say hello, she came over to me and slowly raised her left foot. I said, I don't have a treat for you right now. So she slowly put her foot down. Lol

This went on for the rest of the evening until training time. Then bedtime calm down came and her foot was in the air 99.9% of the time. Lol she just kept turning towards me and putting her foot up. Sometimes REALLY HIGH by her face. Or on her perch, beak holding on and left foot waaaay up high like a ballerina. How disappointed she must have been tonight when she went to sleep with only the normal amount of treats. Lol
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Len_Senegal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 am

Haha that's just the sweetest thing, I love some parrots enthusiasm towards that treat! :lol:
Len_Senegal
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal - Poicephalus.s. mesotypus

Postby InTheAir » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 am

That's so cute!
Our ringneck got obsessed with the wave trick too, he will do it when you have anything he wants, if he wants attention, he even does it as part of his boydance.
He has recently picked up mirroring what ever hand you wave at him with spontaneously (I had something in my right hand so used my left for the cue, and he just ran with it).
InTheAir
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby mrbowlerhat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Miley's previous family taught her to wave as a first trick when she was younger too, and oh man, she's STILL waving as soon as she catches a glimpse of a piece of food, and when I'm having training sessions with her, and when she wants attention and.... Well. The list goes on!
She's adorable though, haha!
mrbowlerhat
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals, Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels

Postby LadySaphine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Yup, this is what Peanut does when she wants a treat. It's kinda like ringing a bell for food. :lol: I'm trying to clicker-train her to only do it when I wave. When I taught her this trick, I didn't have a clicker at the time. She's doing good, though and now waves when I have my hand up, regardless of my voice (I still say it anyways).

:gcc:
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby Nir » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 am

Sounds normal to me.
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Next

Return to Parrot Trick Training