Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Problem with Wave

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Problem with Wave

Postby fiveinpa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:08 am

Hi I have a 3 month old GCC. her training is going fantastic. she targets, steps up, comes when she is called and then i tried to teach her the wave trick and i can NOT get her to lift one foot :) i gave up and taught her the spin and she got that down in two days. so i started the wave again.. still i cant get her to raise one foot. if i get anywhere close to her with my finger she either jumps on or checks it with her beak.
should i wait on this one or is there something i can do. i have been watching her and doing differnt things while i am not training to see what would make her raise one foot but i am not finding anythng that works.
what is the next trick that would be good after the spin?
fiveinpa
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure, Pineapple green cheek conure
Flight: No

Re: Problem with Wave

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:44 pm

You say she jumps onto your hand. Maybe try adjusting the height of your hand when doing step-ups. if she is more inclined to step-up and not hop onto your hand at a certain height of hand then maybe this is the point from which the wave trick can be taught. Just a suggestion as you might have already tried this. On another vein of thought maybe you are waiting for her to fully raise foot at first. If you are, she will get impatient and jump onto your hand. Start slow and reward even the slightest lift and work on progression from there.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby fiveinpa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks..i will have to really take a better look at what i am doing. maybe im just not quick enough when she moves her foot. all i know is she is FAST!
fiveinpa
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Do GCC hold food with their foot? If they're like Cockatiels/Budgies who don't, it is 10x harder to teach the wave trick. Not impossible, but it's as much a feat of physical endurance as learning at that point.

Some great tricks for parakeets (such as budgies, cockatiels, gcc, etc) are:

Go through ring
Go through tube
Slide
Bat

Slide is a fun one but expensive. I have custom made slides if you're interested. Otherwise you can use just about anything for ring/tube tricks.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby fiveinpa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 am

Yea she eats with her foot but not as much as bigger birds that might be part of the problem. I tried the bat trick with her last night to see how comfortable she was with it and in two tries she just did it. now i have to go through the steps to get her to do it on command. Thanks for the tips.
How much do you charge for your slide?
fiveinpa
Parakeet

Return to Parrot Trick Training