Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What Can I teach my Budgies

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

What Can I teach my Budgies

Postby Fayth » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:25 pm

My Budgies know some cool tricks like step up, shake a paw, climb up to my shoulder and stay.
Is there any other tricks that i can teach them. I am hoping to teach them some more tricks in a week or two! Thank you Please answer.
:amazon: :budgie: :gcc: :meyers: :irn: :rainbow: :monk: :sun: :cockatoo: :redbelly: :macaw: :senegal: :hatched: :swaying:
Fayth
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: What Can I teach my Budgies

Postby William » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:57 am

Try to teach your budgie Dance, spin, and wave

Wave is easy just scatch under his wing and he will flap his wings. Say "wave" when he does it and give him a treat.

To spin guide him in a circle with a treat over his head.

To dance make him bob his head with a treat

You can also teach him to twerk but that's advanced
ROCKY - Quaker Parrot

"Troubled times are necessary evils that push you forward, because they eventually end, and the lessons and strengths you gain from them last a life time."
William
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Dave & Karen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 am

Getting them to spin is also easy... just use a treat like a piece of millet and hold it just out of reach when they're on a perch, tell him "turn around" while you move the millet around him, keeping it just out of reach. To prevent discouragement, reward him as soon as he turns half way around and do this until he does it when you tell him to almost every time. Next, you do the same drill, but when he's ready and knows he'll get a treat everytime he does what he's asked to do, don't let him have the treat until he turns all the way around. Practice this with him for several days in several 5 minute sessions but stop when his atten span expires.
He'll soon get it and he'll turn around just by showing him the treat when he's on a perch or on your finger.

They can also flip over your finger but this takes more time since he has to trust you very well because he has to go upside down to complete the trick. I taught a parrotlet this in about a week after he trusted me.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby Dave & Karen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:27 am

Thanks William... I've been looking for another method to teach my birds how to wave with their wings... gonna teach my parrotlet that one next. :thumbsup:

I've also taught some of our birds to "give me 4" by touching one of their feet, they'll lift their foot when you touch it, so say "give me 4" when you touch the foot and reward when they lift it, then stop touching their foot and they'll catch on to what you're asking them to do. then say "give me 4" and when their foot is up, touch the bottom of their foot, it won't take long before they'll lift their foot and touch your finger when you say the command.

Budgies are also very intelligent so they'll catch on to these tricks about as fast as a parrotlet will, We have budgies too but they're not tame yet so I'm still working on building up their trust
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby heyihaveaparrot » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm

I taught my green cheek to spin around in a circle, dance and bob his head, highfive me, and to step of of course.

I do not clicker train but I do use treats for sure. They are simple and my bird learned them VERY quickly! Good luck! :D :thumbsup:
\
heyihaveaparrot
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Postby hannah50942 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:13 pm

well on you tube i saw some budgies doing tricks here's a list
. Skateboarding on a mini skateboard
. Sliding down a mini slide
. one sit in s mini car and one pull like a horse carriage
. i don't know about this one but i saw some cockatiels dancing your budgie mite be able to dance after all you can teach parrots to do anything and a budgie is a parrot

i hoped this helped :swaying:
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis

Return to Parrot Trick Training