Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flooding for harness training?

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Flooding for harness training?

Postby Nir » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:23 pm

whats everyone thoughts on "flooding " for harness training. michael said that its okay to flood as long as your bird is already tame. mango has not learned harness training yet with the original methods so i am thinking about trying flooding. so basically put a bit more force into getting him to wear a harness but then rewarding him right away by taking him outside for walks. and maybe slowly he will start associating the harness with going outside and like it more. thoughts?
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Flooding for harness training?

Postby Wayne361 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm

I think any sort of flooding isnt a good idea personally. You might have taken Micheal a bit out of context here or maybe the degree of flooding?? Flooding might be ok if the bird is 95 percent there in harness training. I personally think it is a bad idea if you are a ways off in the training process. There is a lot at risk with flooding and I am sure you know the risks.

For what it is worth I have also thought about flooding with harness training. But prefer to do it slowly with positive reenforcement. I would say Im 80 percent there. Bout a month ago I would have said 60 percent. So making progress slowly. I do believe slow wins the race here....but that is my opinion. How far are you in the training process?

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Raa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:13 am

Why not try recal training? I had an IRN (who had her wings but was mostly flightless due to an abusive first home) who I used to take outside all the time. She never once tried to fly away from me so I never bothered with a harness.
Raa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Nir » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 pm

yikes... i dont think i would ever risk taking him outside without a harness. he does recall decently well but still. something might frighten him and he might fly of and get lost.

think i made some progress?? i got a tip from someone to try touching his head the way the head loop would go over and over so he gets used to it. so i did and when i put the loop on he let me. but he was frozen. i knew he was distressed so i took it off and gave him a treat. so whenever he wants a treat now on (other then when i tell him to do something) i just make him wear the head part and then give him a treat. he also lets me put on 1 wing without moving. i have 1 hand on his back but not forcefully and he stands there like a statue and i put it on. but not sure if this is good since he is not 100% willingly doing it on his own. sure he lets me put it on but he isnt happy about it. so what do you guys think? is this progress? i will try to take a video of this when i can.
Nir
Poicephalus

Postby cml » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Nir wrote:yikes... i dont think i would ever risk taking him outside without a harness. he does recall decently well but still. something might frighten him and he might fly of and get lost.

Which is absolutely the right way to go about it. Even a clipped bird can fly away outside, getting caught by a gust of wind etc, if frightened.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Raa » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't think there is any 'absolute' way to do anything. Different things work for different people. I never had an issue, Krystal never spooked. And she was unable to fly anyway.
Raa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Nir » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 am

he is now eating while the colar is on!!!
Nir
Poicephalus

Postby hannah50942 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 pm

if you put the harness on every day and reward him/her he will get use to it adn will love it like my bird
HGTindall
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis

Return to Parrot Trick Training