Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Help! Agression with training!

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Please Help! Agression with training!

Postby IveGotAPickle » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

For the last few months I have tried to start trick training Pickle, my BFA. She is normally not aggressive but as soon as I start trying to trick train her she bites the crap out of me. EVERY single time. I have tried starting with different tricks, in different places, at different times, with different treats, and nothing matters.

An example: Today I started with a trick she knows, the wave. I will point to her foot and she will waive, I praise and hand her a treat and she bites me. I walk away for a minute, come back and when I go to point at her foot she bites me. If I can get her to take the treat without biting me she "punches" my hand and takes the treat from me very aggressively. What is going on?
IveGotAPickle
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Fronted Amazon
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Please Help! Agression with training!

Postby Wayne361 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Seems to me you are rewarding for being agressive. Never treat if the bird is agressive...ever. I would go back to square one and work on taming before you attempt trick training. Lots of articles on this site on taming methodology.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby heyihaveaparrot » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Do not treat her after she has bitten you. She may think every time she bites, she gets a reward.
\
heyihaveaparrot
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Try doing hands off tricks and giving long rewards that you can hold and avoid getting bit (like long apple slices or millet spray). That way you can not only avoid the bite but also reinforcing it. Also could be a bird going through adolescence.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Trick Training